Join for free
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Gooseberry Saw Fly

Anyone had any experience with this. I have three gooseberry bushes in my small garden and for the past two years they have been devastated by gooseberry saw fly. By the time I know they are there, they have already eaten most of the foliage. Anyone know any way of preventing them in the first place?

Mick
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Re: Gooseberry Saw Fly

Sorry Mick - I don't.
I've 'lost everything' too, but only once. I didn't do anything different to the bushes the following, or subsequent, year(s), yet all was well and I got a good crop.

I hope somebody comes along with the answer for you
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Keep looking--it`s not the fly but the larvae that do the damage. Google for ways to treat it.

And if you do have time keep checking the leaves
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 01:46 AM

Hi Mick ,I put a gooseberry bush in last year and it was doing really well then I looked at it one day last summer and all the leaves were gone overnight and it was crawling with caterpillars . I picked them off with tweezers and dropped them in a mug of hot water and disinfectant.

Apparently the larvae pupate in the soil over the winter and crawl up the bush . I don't use pesticides so I am going to remove the mulch from the base of my bush and put some new compost down, then a layer of black weed prevention fabric which I am hoping they can't crawl through.

I will also check my bush daily from April till September with tweezers at the ready..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top