Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 12:37 AM

A Ban on Bees

In my garden mag last week, there was an article about beekeeping on allotments.
Apparently, in Sheringham, North Norfolk, there has been a Health & Safety crackdown, and gardeners have been BANNED from keeping bees now, incase they get stung!

One allotment holder said "When you are on an alolotment you are surrounded by insects. It is Health & Safety gone mad. Bees are a principle pollinator of food crops, and we need to be proactive in supporting beekeeping."

Mayor of the town said the council had acted due to fears that a gardener could be stung and suffer an allergic reaction.

What do you think about banning bees?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 12:56 AM

Re: A Ban on Bees

Daft idea! I love bees, people who keep them know what they're doing, what next banning flowers in case someone gets hayfever? Plonkers!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 10:33 AM

Good idea, we used to have an allotment and after I was stung for the 20th time I suddenly became allergic to the stings, I think that is where my allergy syndrome started really because since that one food, one medication, one insect bite or sting has gradually been added to the list of things I need an epipen and trip to A&E for treatment for.

So while I love bees I don't think in a busy allotment area where there are often children running around that they are the most suitable thing to keep.

Can't keep any other live stock so fairer too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Pointless how are they going to stop all the wild bees from stinging you, put up a health n safety poster. Meanwhile those nasty thorny roses get off scot free. Without bees we would be in a sorry state they are already in a massive decline and they are important to the environment as pollinators.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 11:00 AM

It is the number of them though Nom, I am sure in 18 months if we had just had local bees wandering around I wouldn't have been stung 20 times.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 11:10 AM

I think it is daft-you are more likely to be stung by a wasp that has a nest in a compost bin.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Strange when every other interested parties are encouraging bees as two species of them are extinct already.

Maybe your local council is setting up a school for bees to go to be taught not to sting on allotments?

Maybe the council should employ someone to teach them to beehave
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
In my garden mag last week, there was an article about beekeeping on allotments.
Apparently, in Sheringham, North Norfolk, there has been a Health & Safety crackdown, and gardeners have been BANNED from keeping bees now, incase they get stung!

One allotment holder said "When you are on an alolotment you are surrounded by insects. It is Health & Safety gone mad. Bees are a principle pollinator of food crops, and we need to be proactive in supporting beekeeping."

Mayor of the town said the council had acted due to fears that a gardener could be stung and suffer an allergic reaction.

What do you think about banning bees?
So is it only on the allotments then that bees are banned.
The hives can be sited off the allotments .

I don't think bees read notices, they go where they like
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 01:02 PM

I have been stung by wasps on quite a few occasions but never by a bee. I have a wild flower patch in my garden and it attracts lots of bees. I dead head the flowers while the bees are gathering the pollen, they seem too busy to take any notice of me. Maybe they are docile in my neck of the woods.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I don't think bees read notices, they go where they like
Nor can many Norfolk residents of if they can they take no notice of the notice. They also tend to stray where they like oblivious to any restriction.

As to banning bees daft bloody idea but as they say NFN.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top