Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2016, 02:01 AM

'Egg & Chips'

Don't know if anyone tried the new tomato plants which also grew potatoes last year, but now T & M have brought out another weird plant for this year.

It's another dual cropper and they've called it 'Egg & Chips' because its a potato plant which also grows Aubergines. They say it is the result of "natural" plant grafting and there has been no genetic modification. The aubergines grow on top, and the potatoes at the roots.

Apparently 'limited' stock will be available for despatch from this April onwards, in 9cm pots at £14.99 each, or two for £19.99.

Personally I don't fancy these odd plants, I like more traditional plants myself. Bit of an old stick in the mud I suppose.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2016, 02:09 AM

Re: 'Egg & Chips'

Why would they even do that?
I guess if you don't have much space, it would be something to look into, but it's rather pricey isn't it.

I'm gonna keep being an old stick in the mud!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2016, 06:30 AM

Cheaper to buy your potatoes and aubergines from Tesos. I suppose it's OK from the novelty angle but I wouldn't buy one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't know if anyone tried the new tomato plants which also grew potatoes last year, but now T & M have brought out another weird plant for this year.

It's another dual cropper and they've called it 'Egg & Chips' because its a potato plant which also grows Aubergines. They say it is the result of "natural" plant grafting and there has been no genetic modification. The aubergines grow on top, and the potatoes at the roots.

Apparently 'limited' stock will be available for despatch from this April onwards, in 9cm pots at £14.99 each, or two for £19.99.

Personally I don't fancy these odd plants, I like more traditional plants myself. Bit of an old stick in the mud I suppose.
Why? Your citrus fruit grows on a tree which is grafted. The base and root system is usually a hardy thorn lemon while the graft can be a mandarin, an orange, grapefruit, cumqua etc. If it weren't pissing down with rain I'd take a photo of mine the graft is obvious.

Likewise apples, in fact you can buy apple trees with several grafts so you get several varieties of apples on the same tree.

Some plants it is the only way to get a reliable harvest if you just planted the seed you could get any throw back.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Now if only you could get a cheese plant that grew tomatoes and cucumbers, you could grow your own sandwiches, might need a bread plant too though!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 10:51 AM

I really don't like these 'novelty' plants , I would guess they don't do justice to either variety of vegetable.

If I am going to the trouble of growing somthing I want it to be the best it can be of its kind for taste and crop rather than somthing to look at for its novelty value.
Maybe I am not adventurous and too practical
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Bit like the mauve cabbages my wife has started buying. Green is greens and should stay so
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bit like the mauve cabbages my wife has started buying. Green is greens and should stay so

I agree Bazza. I wouldn't buy or grow these black tomatoes or purple carrots either, and as for white strawberries - well, how would you even know when they're ripe?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Bazza. I wouldn't buy or grow these black tomatoes or purple carrots either, and as for white strawberries - well, how would you even know when they're ripe?
Oh no, stick with the old, traditional stuff. My neighbour offered us some black tomatoes a couple of years ago, very small things, I can't have been impressed cos I can't even remember what they tasted like !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top