Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:38 AM

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up.....

No ambition to be anything in particular and just fell into the job I spent almost my entire working life doing. I got it via the Job Centre. I was offered two jobs. An apprenticeship with Rentaset as a TV engineer ..and training as sales person at Burtons. I chose the apprenticeship.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Electrical engineering and that's what I did for about 50 years.

Power electronics, mostly variable speed drives for industrial applications, to be more specific. This sort of stuff.

http://eatonlightingsystems.com/cort...--0214-sml.pdf
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 07:11 AM

A physicist. I had always been able to "visualise" mathematical formula which was a huge benefit and so read physics, in particular quantum mechanics.

Once graduated and entering the real world I realised that being wealthy had a much greater appeal to me.

As a result I became an industrial whore, very soon moved into management, and concentrated on getting people cleverer than me to do things.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 07:58 AM

I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to be, even as I left school, I worked in a greengrocers, as a Saturday job so I did this for about two weeks after I left school, then my dad announced he had got me a job, as an apprentice electrician, I loved it, unfortunately a couple of redundancies meant I had to change career paths..
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 08:02 AM

I have always wanted to work in a Funeral Parlour or in the Morgue, but in those days when I applied for these jobs, only Men were allowed to do this job, it wasn't until in the 90s that they let Women do the job, it was too late then, so I ended up doing Secretarial work, which I hated.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
....and did you realise your ambition?
Or did you end up doing something else in your working life?

I remember wanting to be a car designer. Since I was very young I was always drawing pictures of supercars.

I left school and worked in an office, then in a Ford motor parts garage. After that it was 12 years in the RAF and for the past 18+ years with a large safety clothing/maintenance equipment firm.

Wish I'd stuck with my initial ambition

My late mother assured me that when asked at a very young age what I'd like to be I replied very quickly with,

"I want to be a celebrity"

I actually studied for a career in horticulture, but ended up in retail before retiring on medical grounds before I was 50.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Up until I was about 16 years old, I wanted to follow my dad into the navy but when I went for my medical I had what was referred to as "CP3", colour perception 3! So I was a bit colourblind which meant I would have to be in Engineering or Secretariat. Neither appealed to me so my first job was working at the Govt Tourist Bureau in Auckland. I was inspired by a couple of very famous photographers, Marti Freidlander and Brian Brake, who did some contract work for the GTB and I was their general dogsbody for shifting sets, making tea and carrying gear. I attended the ELAM School of art in Auckland for the arty side of photography and to shorten the story I ended up in London at the Hammersmith Polytechnic doing photochemistry and optics for a diploma. Next thing was I was in Portugal starving as a freelance photographer working through an agency called Paul Popper Ltd. and I fortuitously met a girl whose father had a vineyard near Setabul. I worked for keep for a few weeks in his vineyard then a connection with Barros Almeido winery for real money and from then on it was a change of direction. I became a winemaker! I was so lucky in beginning a 40 year career in an occupation which if I had been obscenely rich I would still have had. The only regrets I have are that I was so excited about every new challenge that I forgot to ask what I was going to get paid! Hence I am not rich.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 09:00 AM

I was born & raised on a farm, we had landrovers, tractors and assorted farm machinery. But, at an early age, I was fascinated by the passing non-agricultural: mobile shop, mobile library, ice-cream van. The latter being the most fun, so that was my first ambition, at the age of about five, selling ice-creams.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 09:24 AM

As a child I wanted to be a marine biologist. I had grown up with all those wonderful Hans and Lotte Hass programmes followed a little later by Jacques Cousteau. As a teenager I briefly wanted to be a full-time musician and was in a group, but the sudden death of our brilliantly talented keyboard player from a brain aneurism depressed us all too much to continue. I drifted through VIth Form - still managing to get good exam results and, after 3 or 4 years of aimless and pointless jobs (the best paid and most fun of which was working in demolition), I went to university. My degree course was a 'sandwich course' and we were expected to find placements for 4 months of the year in a relevant workplace. In my second year, I found a summer placement working in a youth centre with young tearaways. I absolutely loved it and eventually made youth work my career.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 09:26 AM

What did you want to be when you grew up.....

I just wanted to be a lot taller. It took a while, but I got there in the end.
Nowadays I seem to be shrinking in size again. From a maximum of 179cm down to 175cm.
That's still not too bad. Just think of the Pygmies, like the Wherethe****arewe tribe.
They can't even see over the top of the long grass in their environment

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top