Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Are People Who Get On In Life To Be Decried ?

As a result of a slight disagreement in another thread I just wonder what the rest of you think. I became a coal face worker in my early years and didn't like my job one bit. At the time the country was crying out for teachers so, on the strength of my qualifications in mining engineering gained by studying on day release, I applied for and was offered a place at a teacher training college. I worked hard and got good results and managed to get a lecturing job in FE which was much easier and had better pay and conditions than a coal face worker. I and my family had a much better life as a result of my initiative and hard work.
Are people like myself to be applauded for bettering themselves or to be envied and derided ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:29 AM

Re: Are People Who Get On In Life To Be Decried ?

Not at all I think it's great when you can do that, only thing I will say is it's not open to everyone to do it so you should consider yourself not just industrious but lucky too.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Are people like myself to be applauded for bettering themselves or to be envied and derided ?
Very much applauded Alan by the more sensible ones amongst us....the jealous ones I fear, like the poor, will always be with us !
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:32 AM

I think its only natural to want to achive something in life and natural as parents to want better for our children.

The only people I dont like are those who peer down from their tower as if the rest of us are poo..
Met one on Sunday who came from Kensington and told me my area of south London was one she had never been allowed to visit because it was full of yobs. She then asked if I wanted to be her cleaning lady!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Definitely applauded - initiative is good in my book
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:40 AM

This is a no brainer Alan.
Applauded.

A very interesting post in which amongst other things, I learned how you got your lecturing job.
At least you haven't left that particular talent behind since joining the forum!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Yes, personal achievement is to be applauded, provided, hard work, long hours, and not benefitting from others shortcomings were the factors on the journey, some just achieve by default. Imo.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not at all I think it's great when you can do that, only thing I will say is it's not open to everyone to do it so you should consider yourself not just industrious but lucky too.
I was orphaned at age 15, no family, no state handouts.
I had to leave school and find work in order to survive.
After living on practically nothing after I had paid for my accommodation, I clawed my way through life and eventually earned enough to continue my education at night school. I then was able to continue my training at an aerospace company and became a development engineer on future aircraft projects.....hard work and initiative is always open to everyone Julie, no luck required !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I think its only natural to want to achive something in life and natural as parents to want better for our children.

The only people I dont like are those who peer down from their tower as if the rest of us are poo..
Met one on Sunday who came from Kensington and told me my area of south London was one she had never been allowed to visit because it was full of yobs. She then asked if I wanted to be her cleaning lady!
Great come back Cass would have been NO but you can be MINE

There will always be people who better themselves Alan.
Me and my 3 siblings all did better in life than our parents.
My parents did not seem to have any ambition and struggled
all of their lives. Could have been the second WW or just
their upbringing by Victoria parents. In those days children
were seen and not heard and you either went to work or you died if you were not rich.

I don't down anyone for doing well in life. I only knock
them down if they think that just because they have lots
of money that it makes them more intelligent than me.
I don't go for that at all. We all have talents and its up
to us to use them for the best for ourselves and for others.
That's my philosophy
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It goes without saying that luck comes into it. Would Bill Gates have become a billionaire if he had been born 50 years earlier - I doubt it.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top