Join for free
Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Art I was a very young poor housewife with a baby in the 50's so don't tell me I don't know the meaning of poverty but there was no such poverty brought about by the Benefits System
as there is today .
THAT is what the documentary was about ! Poverty today,children at the mercy of a flawed Benefits System , things like the Trussel trust being set up to feed families at the mercy of a flawed Benefits System leaving those unfortunates applying for Universal Credit as long as 5 weeks without any payment .
8 foodbanks in Cambridge! Doesn't that speak for itself ?
Same thing all over the UK .
In a country that doesn't mind giving out financial aid to foreign countries it's a complete disgrace !
Zuleika, l totally agree with you about Foreign Aid. I always thought, ‘Charity begins at home’.
I can’t understand why the government won’t budge on this issue, especially when some of the countries the money is given to, seem to be wealthier than us.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 03:29 PM

Channel 4 really should have their licence withdrawn. The latest shameful subtitles "error" involving Boris Johnson is inexcusable.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Zuleika, l totally agree with you about Foreign Aid. I always thought, ‘Charity begins at home’.
I can’t understand why the government won’t budge on this issue, especially when some of the countries the money is given to, seem to be wealthier than us.
Yes Art Charity begins at home was a phrase my mum used to come out with when I began asking for money for charity my Grammar School class teacher regularly asked for on a Monday morning along with dinner money.
I never do forget the embarrassment I felt in front of 29 girls and her when I had to say "Nothing Miss"
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 06:48 PM

It is a fact that even if some families had £1,000.00 per week they would squander it in None essentials and be in debt

From an early age, School Children should be taught Domestic Science.
Young Children love playing at house and with dolls that cry until the parents buy then a tablet sometimes at age 5 years old.
They should be taught not to idolise Celebrities or Film Star who are no better than anyone else, especially as many can't act or sing and dance.

My children with supervision could cook simple meals at age five. We made our own entertainment and they played outdoors in their free time including climbing trees.
That is when it was safe for children, and no danger of them being attacked ,molested or kidnapped, as all mother looked out for all children and any stranger in sight would be monitored.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
It is a fact that even if some families had £1,000.00 per week they would squander it in None essentials and be in debt

From an early age, School Children should be taught Domestic Science.
Young Children love playing at house and with dolls that cry until the parents buy then a tablet sometimes at age 5 years old.
They should be taught not to idolise Celebrities or Film Star who are no better than anyone else, especially as many can't act or sing and dance.

My children with supervision could cook simple meals at age five. We made our own entertainment and they played outdoors in their free time including climbing trees.
That is when it was safe for children, and no danger of them being attacked ,molested or kidnapped, as all mother looked out for all children and any stranger in sight would be monitored.
Azure with respect could I ask what your post has to do with the Dispatches programme?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Just pointing out that some people simply can't manage their finances and need direction when young
IE: I am not hard up but if required can make Soup for 6 people for £2.00

Also some folk find domesticity very difficult as well
Zuleika
North West UK

07-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Just pointing out that some people simply can't manage their finances and need direction when young
IE: I am not hard up but if required can make Soup for 6 people for £2.00

Also some folk find domesticity very difficult as well
But the programme wasn’t about anything you’re pointing out . Did you in fact watch it ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 07:33 AM

The program was a mass of spin.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
But the programme wasn’t about anything you’re pointing out . Did you in fact watch it ?
Sometimes you don't need to see something, if you've seen it before, and maybe not on the tele.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Please tell me What is the difference between poverty in the 1930s and poverty today?
Some seem to think that poverty today is far worse. but one must remember In the 1930s there were no such things a soup kitchens, Food banks or TV and newspaper reporters telling the world how bad off people were. In those days the poor and needy had to rely on the generosity of others to survive or steal or beg.
Today there are food banks and benefit handouts. Poverty today means one cannot afford a mobile phone, a packet of fags, a can of beer or playstations.
Poverty in those far off days meant REAL poverty

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top