Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 09:39 AM

Re: Which Magazine - Best Oven Chips

I have recently become addicted to fries. Those thin type chips.
I deep fry them. I tried them in the oven, but not so good.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Now we have a hot air fryer the chips are so much better, a lot crisper on the outside and moist inside. Also no fat or oil to digest

No more oven cooked soggy chips from now on.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Now we have a hot air fryer the chips are so much better, a lot crisper on the outside and moist inside. Also no fat or oil to digest

No more oven cooked soggy chips from now on.
That looks interesting. I could be tempted to get one of those.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 03:22 PM

The best tasting Chips are home cooked in an ordinary Chip Fryer, and it cooks quicker
I do have an Air Fryer but it does brown the top Chips but not the botton ones and it will not cook enough for a large family in one go.

I do not think Air fryers cook any quicker than in a pan on the Hob or the Oven

Also when you take out the contaner it is extremely hot so be careful.
It was recommended to me as labour saving, but I only use it to heat cooked food as I do not use a Microwave and it saves putting the oven on.
The only Kitchen gadget I like is a Slow Cooker as it cooks to perfection.
Such a lot of gadgets end up in the cupboard never to be used again, or given to Charity Shops.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 02:39 PM

I usually get these.
There's only me, so I can't be bothered to faff about.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
The best tasting Chips are home cooked in an ordinary Chip Fryer, and it cooks quicker
I do have an Air Fryer but it does brown the top Chips but not the botton ones and it will not cook enough for a large family in one go.

I do not think Air fryers cook any quicker than in a pan on the Hob or the Oven

Also when you take out the contaner it is extremely hot so be careful.
It was recommended to me as labour saving, but I only use it to heat cooked food as I do not use a Microwave and it saves putting the oven on.
The only Kitchen gadget I like is a Slow Cooker as it cooks to perfection.
Such a lot of gadgets end up in the cupboard never to be used again, or given to Charity Shops.

Yes, there's a lot of truth in that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 11:31 PM

Has anyone ever sautee'd chips??
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Does cutting up some potatoes into neat lengths or wedges and giving them a quick steam, rolling them in flour and throwing them in some hot oil count? I buy frozen chips every once in a while when I'm feeling lazy but I always go back to making them from scratch. Takes a bit of practice to get it right and a bit more time but once there..never look back
Can't beat homemade, Keezoy.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:13 AM

Here's a contentious point - when making homemade chips, I never bother peeling them. Crispy skins taste wonderful.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 09:47 PM

If l use oven chips, l buy Marks and Spencer’s lovely, not expensive, Homestyle Chips, otherwise l make my own with Albert Bartlett red potatoes l grow in my garden. I cook them in a small deep fat fryer.

I also like Albert Bartlett’s Homestyle frozen chips, they are nice too.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top