Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Re: Pum seeks Pom advice !

As your keen on the environment perhaps some nature reserves on your trip.

http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/find-a-reserve/azlist/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 08:24 AM

Consider a visit to Winchester (Hampshire). A town with lots of history, a cathedral and retaining much of its old-English look. If you catch some good weather (always chancy here), it's nice to sit on a bench by the River Test and watch the water flow while eating lunch.

Guildford (Surrey) is a good place to visit too. Another place with history. An ancient castle 'Keep' to see (good view from the top) and the surrounding castle gardens are great. There are a couple of good pubs alongside the River Wey.

As JBR says, there are some good places in Yorkshire to visit. The city of York is worth seeing.

So many places, so little time. Hope you get the good weather and go home with a good impression of the place.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Isn't that a slightly unkind way to refer to your new FEMALE pm ?
The cat, to which Mups refers, has resided at 10 Downing street for much longer than the PM. I realize that this will be a new concept to Aussies, but here in the UK we have domesticated some feral species and neuter them to prevent an imbalance of the species.
That cat will be more welcomed to 10 Downing street, than yourself.....because he lives there and is often seen being let in through their famous door! It is the same door that many world leaders pass through, but then, cats are a very popular animal here!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Avoid London like the plague, it is full of foreigners and rip off merchants.

If you really want to see the UK there are plenty of "traditional" villages to explore and more Castles than you can shake a stick at. Within an hour from me I can visit at least 3/4 castles/fortified houses and Rudyard Kiplings home. Pubs wow what a choice from modern to old coach house types going back hundreds of years,we even have battle Abbey on our doorstep, (battle of hastings 1066, King Harold) .

Oh and by the way Downing street is gated off, so you can't go down there
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:13 AM

If you are visiting London two things I would say are crucial - firstly pay out for a tourist bus (not sure how much they are) which takes your around all the tourist spots, get on and off as you please and secondly you must take a stroll down the south bank alongside the river Thames after dark - it is really beautiful. Other than that, yes I would avoid London.

I don't really know Kent that well I think it's mostly a commuter county for London.

Scotland - you're in for a real treat, the west coast is stunning and certainly worth a visit.

I'm afraid as far as weather is concerned, you really can't tell how it's going to be.

I notice some on here really haven't developed the mature art of moving on and just letting go!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:17 AM

I wouldn't bother with Downing Street Pum, There's nothing to see really seeing as it's gated off anyway. A good way to see London is on one of the very nice river boats which these days have a bar on board where you can enjoy your glass of wine.

Westminster, St Pauls, Tower Bridge all worth a visit.
If you do find yourself in Kent then a pint of 'Flowers' beer is worth a try.

My best advice is don't try to fit too much in. I have found when touring places in the US that it all merges into one in the end whereas a bit of time spent at one venue is more memorable.

If you get down to the South West, Devon, then Exeter is well worth a visit with it's beautiful cathedral and Quayside on the River Exe. Then theres Dartmoor with it's tiny hamlets and cream teas.Let me know nearer the time and I'll bring my two cats along, they say they can't wait to meet you.

You should get a warm welcolme from most Brits, we even sound alike (According to Americans anyway)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Baxter8;

I notice some on here really haven't developed the mature art of moving on and just letting go![/QUOTE]

In Pummy's case you are right, he is a WUM and many of us like to return the favour. but most of us still love him!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 10:10 AM

I "let go" frequently; told you our beer is rubbish.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
In Pummy's case you are right, he is a WUM and many of us like to return the favour. but most of us still love him!
A generalization Twink, is a dangerous thing.

Or were you just trying to appease ..the sour one .. who has not maturely moved on.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
A generalization Twink, is a dangerous thing.
I did say most Morty. I am sure there are some who would like to strangle him, if he wasn't so far away.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top