Join for free
Page 9 of 40 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

Just remembered, when my heating was checked in March the guy said my smoke alarm needed replacing, it's a wired in one. No one ever came with the new one he said he'd ordered. I'd better phone the HA tomorrow!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Listening to the news, it says that the Government has ordered fire safety checks on all similar tower blocks.
All I can say is that every single council had better have their paperwork and fire log books signed correctly by an independent Fire Safety Engineer or heads should roll !!
Hi

The checks are only on those undergoing renovation apparently.

I hope that all owners of such blocks carry out full inspections, irrespective of any renovation.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Latest news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40272168
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by matchpoint ->
If you throw a fridge on a bonfire .. guess what, it will explode.

It has a compressor and a condensor inside, so at 100degrees it will go bang. sounds like a test we carried out in student digs.
A fridge causing that fire? I find that hard to believe - or am I conditioned to suspect terrorism?

I also find it hard to believe that the fire service got to the top floor of the tower block to search - in vain - for people still alive, they surely must have seen huge numbers of bodies, yet I hear no statements from those fire men. I think there's a lot of information being held back on this.
So very very sad..............
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 07:05 PM

These people are still missing .
So sad that so many really elderly people were living on the top floors .
What chance did they have ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ell-tower-fire
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:05 PM

As predicted, there is now a huge problem, locally, with the storage of donated clothes etc.

Fantastic that so many people have been willing to donate material goods but it was always on the cards that space would be an issue.
One of the reasons I would prefer to give money.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2017, 08:46 PM

Where are all these poor people staying?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:52 PM

Not in my case! I often go out without my phone. Its not very high on my list of priorities.
ETA: This is in reply to the person discussing putting your insurance details on your phone.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:25 PM

It will be interesting to see if any of the charities get involved. The Salvation Army are most likely helping out but what about organisations such as the DEC?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:39 PM

This is so awful. Unbelievable that we can have a tragedy like this after all we know about fire safety and all the regulations in place. What an appalling waste of lives. But well done to the dedicated firefighters who were there at lightning speed. Unfortunately there was only so much they could do. The worst thing is that they are building countless new tower blocks in London. Perhaps now there will be really stringent controls and checks on all high rise buildings. But this is so profoundly sad and horrible I cannot imagine what the family and friends of those who have died are going through. I cannot imagine how awful those who survived feel having lost their homes and all their personal possessions

Page 9 of 40 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top