Join for free
Page 14 of 51 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

Hmm, are us ladies seeing a little jealousy here?
David Attenborough, 94 years old and still looking good. Well educated in his field & wanting to share what he knows with all generations.
He doesn't tell us what to do, but he does tell us what to expect if we do nothing. I can remember at school thinking "Oh I don't need to know about something the teacher taught us" but I have since found that some things would have been useful if I had paid more attention to what I thought was trivia.
On top of that Mr Attenborough, at his great age, is still able to earn money from sharing his knowledge! I wonder how many of us will be able to do this , at his age, because he isn't just earning money, he is enjoying great respect from the people who may benefit from what he teaches.
I suspect very few of us will be able to say the same!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 02:58 PM

Muddy:

"Eco tourists tend to be aware of the environment and don’t damage it "

It's a pity that Extinction Rebellion don't follow the same tenets then during their countless demonstrations - they leave acres of rubbish in their wake including plastic bags, bottles and tents for others to pick up and remove.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 06:17 PM

The simple facts are that the human population is growing at an astronomical rate. In 1930, the earths population was 2 billion. By 1975 it was 4 billion. we are now on track to reach 8 billion. By 2065 it will be 16 billion. We are breeding like rabbits. And there is not a single thing we can do about it.

Please don't tell me what China has done. They are a dictatorship and can do whatever they please. Yes, even forced abortion and sterilization.

Moreover, I, and everyone reading this, can do absolutely nothing to change our world's collective carbon footprint. Oh, sure, we can do without dishwashers and microwaves but that is like using a teacup to drain the ocean. Anyone who thinks he/she can make any impact on the earth's ecology is delusional. Yes, doing without can make you feel better but going without merely makes your life harder.

Seriously, 99.9 % of the worlds population doesn't give a rats arse about leaving a carbon footprint or about having more and evermore babies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Muddy:

"Eco tourists tend to be aware of the environment and don’t damage it "

It's a pity that Extinction Rebellion don't follow the same tenets then during their countless demonstrations - they leave acres of rubbish in their wake including plastic bags, bottles and tents for others to pick up and remove.
Please Judd give me a break about Extinction Rebellion.
The title of this topic is Extinction the facts .
I couldn’t give a monkeys about Extinction Rebellion or how much rubbish they leave .
That is just a red herring .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Hmm, are us ladies seeing a little jealousy here?
David Attenborough, 94 years old and still looking good. Well educated in his field & wanting to share what he knows with all generations.
He doesn't tell us what to do, but he does tell us what to expect if we do nothing. I can remember at school thinking "Oh I don't need to know about something the teacher taught us" but I have since found that some things would have been useful if I had paid more attention to what I thought was trivia.
On top of that Mr Attenborough, at his great age, is still able to earn money from sharing his knowledge! I wonder how many of us will be able to do this , at his age, because he isn't just earning money, he is enjoying great respect from the people who may benefit from what he teaches.
I suspect very few of us will be able to say the same!
I think you have hit the nail on the head Twink
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Just a question then..how do Eco tourists get to the places us common people don’t get too..do they walk..provide their own eco friendly accommodation and food, or do they fly in, stay at an expensive lodge or 5 star hotel?
I wish I was rich enough to be an eco tourist and able to offset my carbon footprint
You may be common doesn’t mean everyone else is .
I lived in Belize Central America for two years .
It’s a wonderful place for wildlife and attracts a lot of eco tourism.
I can truly say that I don’t know one person who came as an eco tourist and stayed in a five star hotel .
Because most are eco conscious - five star hotels are just not of interest to them .
They are not necessarily rich they may have saved up for years to make the trip .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Us then Muddy?

From a save the planet point of view, we have got too expensive for our own good, and our input far outweighs our output...If we were all machines, we would be uneconomical to run and be scrapped. Isn't this what Covid is doing? Cutting out all the dead wood....?
I think you are right .
The planet is fighting best / self cleansing whatever .
Yup it’s the old and weak that will go first .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Thank you, Muddy. I was totally unaware that Orangutans are poached in order to obtain the babies as pets. Outrageous ! There seems no end to mans cruelty.

However, I still think you are wrong about islands in that area NOT being rain forested. In any event, rain forests, IMO, are not necessary for Orangutans. They, of course, require the proper fruit trees and in sufficient numbers. Look at it this way. Zoos, across the globe, maintain healthy populations of Orangutans and those zoos are definitely not rain forests.

PS: The world famous San Diego Zoo usually has a steady population of 5-7 adult Orangutans. Since the 1920's there have been 28 successful live births at the San Diego Zoo. Their keepers keep the Orangutans healthy and happy on a steady diet of mostly: oranges, grapes, and bananas with the occasional pile of flowers, tender leaves, and bark. So, Muddy, you see that it is entirely possible to maintain a healthy population of Orangutans OUTSIDE of a rain forest.

If you put healthy Orangutans on an empty JUNGLE island AND that island had sufficient fruit trees, I think the Orangutans would be as happy as pigs in a puddle.
I am happy to tell you that the World Land Trust has spent £100,000 on a land for Orangutans in Malaysia .
This will be preserved as a habitat for them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Please Judd give me a break about Extinction Rebellion.
The title of this topic is Extinction the facts .
I couldn’t give a monkeys about Extinction Rebellion or how much rubbish they leave .
That is just a red herring .
With respect, you started this thread citing David Attenborough bringing the world's possible extinction to our attention. XR is on the same mission but in direct opposition to Sir David's methods - he doesn't go around vandalising, destroying, and polluting to get his message across, he does it in a calm and respectful way. In contrast to you, I DO care about how much rubbish they leave behind. They are hypocrites causing environmental damage in their own way.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
With respect, you started this thread citing David Attenborough bringing the world's possible extinction to our attention. XR is on the same mission but in direct opposition to Sir David's methods - he doesn't go around vandalising, destroying, and polluting to get his message across, he does it in a calm and respectful way. In contrast to you, I DO care about how much rubbish they leave behind. They are hypocrites causing environmental damage in their own way.
I don’t know that XR does those things - they may just be being targeted by the right wing media.

Former policeman Richard Ecclestone, who is a member of Extinction Rebellion, told Ms Aiken to take her complaint to the police and added XR had an “excellent record of clearing up” when they were allowed to.

He said: “The overwhelming majority of the rubbish referred to by( Nickie Aiken MP) was personal property that was seized by the police - bins, toilets, tents and accessibility equipment for disabled activists - presumably as a deliberate tactic to make life as uncomfortable as possible for peaceful protesters from Extinction Rebellion.

“This includes the seizure of personal property belonging to protesters at Trafalgar Square under the terms of what we now know was an unlawful Section 14 order.”

Page 14 of 51 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top