Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 12:21 PM

Foxing the Foxes

My cousin/SiL gave us some tomato, basil, and chilli plants last week, and on Saturday I put them out in a grow bag.
The following day, the foxes decided to have some fun, dug up all the plants, tore the bag in multiple places, and spread compost around the garden.

I had an old pallet in the garage so I cut it up to make a table, then a frame to surround the shredded bag and keep the insides within, then added some legs made from a length of scaffold plank. I reused sixteen of the nails from the pallet as well to hold it all together.

I slid a piece of spare floor laminate under the bag to stop it disintegrating. That will be removed later once the plants have become established.

I salvaged as much of the bag, compost, and plants as I could, and my lovely cousin (my Lovely Cousin's sister) dropped some more off to replace the ones that had been too savaged to survive. This is the end result.

I am required by law to inform you that my legs are licensed and insured for public display purposes.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 12:25 PM

Re: Foxing the Foxes

That is an amazing piece of carpentry. Hope it keeps the foxes off.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 12:36 PM

Just what I want for my kitchen thr rustic look
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:09 PM

Well done Fruitcake, you saved the day with your remarkable table 👏

Hmm..... looks like Foxy has some competition in the lovely legs corner. 😄
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Ingenious!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 02:33 PM

Well thought out Fruitcake, but foxes can jump too.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 04:10 PM

Great improvisation Fruitcake- I reckon you could sell a few of those!
Are you sure it was foxes that did the mischief. Ripping the bag to shreds like that and rummaging through the compost and pots seems the behavior of a badger. They certainly have the claws sharp enough for tearing into a growbag.
Be interesting to set up a trail camera
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mags ->
well done fruitcake, you saved the day with your remarkable table 👏

hmm..... Looks like foxy has some competition in the lovely legs corner. 😄
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by toners ->
Great improvisation Fruitcake- I reckon you could sell a few of those!
Are you sure it was foxes that did the mischief. Ripping the bag to shreds like that and rummaging through the compost and pots seems the behavior of a badger. They certainly have the claws sharp enough for tearing into a growbag.
Be interesting to set up a trail camera
Yes, it is possible that it was a badger. We do get them occasionally, but foxes visit several times a week, and we've seen them on our security cameras throwing plant pots around amongst other things.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top