Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Beacon lit on summit of Ben Nevis

A team of injured service personnel are among a group climbing Ben Nevis to light a beacon in honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

The 52-man team, who are taking part in the Help for Heroes Jubilee Challenge, include 12 people from the Personnel Recovery Centre in Edinburgh.

They are due to set off from Fort William at 17:00, lighting the beacon on the summit at 22:30.

The beacon is one of 4,200 being lit in the Queen's honour across the globe.

The wounded soldiers will also be joined by volunteers from RAF Kinloss Mountain Rescue Team, as well as service men and women from across the UK.

Six RAF volunteers will carry the gas canisters and the beacon up the mountain.

Among those travelling with the RAF volunteers is 31-year-old David Timmins from Neilston in East Renfrewshire.

He was caught in an IED explosion in Helmand Province in Afghanistan in 2009. Since then he has been in recovery after losing an eye and suffering paralysis down one side of his body.

He said: "I was actually signed out of the army because of my injuries last week and doing this was may last chance to do something with the army.

"I'm determined to do it. Being fit keeps me going and kept me alive after the explosion.

"This is a great thing to focus on. We've not had a Diamond Jubilee for some time and won't have another in my lifetime so it's a great chance for me."

Star-studded

The local Help for Heroes county co-ordinator, Dianne McLeish, said: "I am delighted to be taking part in such a memorable historic event.

"Whilst I am looking forward to climbing with the team, I am a bit apprehensive as there is still snow on 'The Ben' at the moment, but it will be a great challenge - a once in a lifetime opportunity."

All of the UK's beacons are due to be lit between 22:00 and 22:30.

The Queen will end the ceremony by lighting the National Beacon in London after a star-studded concert to mark the Diamond Jubilee.

About 12,000 people are expected at Buckingham Palace for the event. The concert is also being broadcast on BBC Big Screens around the UK, including one in Festival Square in Edinburgh.

Steven Reilly, screen producer in Edinburgh, said: "The Diamond Jubilee weekend is about people coming together in celebration, and a highlight will be our screening of the concert on Monday evening.

"A front row seat is guaranteed - right in the heart of Edinburgh. If you don't have a ticket for Buckingham Palace then this will be the next best thing."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Re: Beacon lit on summit of Ben Nevis

The 52-man team, who are taking part in the Help for Heroes Jubilee Challenge, include 12 people from the Personnel Recovery Centre in Edinburgh
Fantastic Roxy I hope they all make it without problems.
I find it humbling and reason to pause for thought when brave people like these take on such feats ...
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Yes its great, hope to see them in the news
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

wonderful, thats all I can say.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

As Meg says, these people humble us all, absolutely the best of luck lads....
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Well done to the lads, good on you I have tried to find an update on this but nothing so far.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Well done lads, what an achievement!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-...lands-18323359
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 04:03 PM

In Pictures, Some of Scotlands Jubilee Beacons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18329716
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 04:41 PM

As Meg said, it is very humbling. Their determination puts most of the population to shame.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top