Join for free
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Re: Pond Removal

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Now have two containers full of tadpoles.

Managed to transfer lots from the first container with the net, then realised it must have been traumatic as a few were getting stuck in the mesh. So I used a large mug in the end and carefully transferred them. They didn't seem to mind that

Surprisingly, there's still more spawn. Hopefully those wrigglies are still sleeping (rather than dead) and waiting to wake up. Wonder if there will be enough room for them.

The day of pond removal drawing near ... come Monday - that's it. I'll miss it, watching the wildlife and the birds having a bath in it - but needs must.
Good for you Pasta.

If I may ask, how big are your tadpole containers?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Brrrr.... just been outside measuring them

One is:
2' x 16" x 14" Deep

Other:
Same but lower ie 8" deep

Ideally, they should have been larger, but I didn't think getting them any bigger would help me move them nor be good for them jumping out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 09:28 PM

Brrrr.... just been outside measuring them

One is:
2' x 16" x 14" Deep

Other:
Same but lower ie 8"

Ideally, they should have been larger, but I didn't think getting them any bigger would help me move them or be good for them jumping out.
Thanks Pasta.

Not claiming any expertise, of course, but I'm sure they'll be alright, especially since when tadpoles grow too big for that environment they'll have grown up and become able to live out of water - I think!

I'd put some plants or bricks or something in there to help them get out when they want to, though. I think I once made a wooden ramp in our pond for that reason, although I can't say I ever saw them using it!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Pasta.

Not claiming any expertise, of course, but I'm sure they'll be alright, especially since when tadpoles grow too big for that environment they'll have grown up and become able to live out of water - I think!

I'd put some plants or bricks or something in there to help them get out when they want to, though. I think I once made a wooden ramp in our pond for that reason, although I can't say I ever saw them using it!
Well, the first container I did put stones in (which made it hard to lift) and intend to put a rock in for them to leap out on when the chaps get the rocks out of the pond.

The 2nd container I'm waiting till Monday to put rocks in.

Yes, there are plants in both containers. Little sods have to eat plus they rest on the plants too

I feel quite sad that this will be the last time I'll have frogs and tadpoles, but if it works out to be successful in rearing the taddies perhaps I might just bury one of the containers into the soil and see what happens. A sort of mini pond in the same area where they've been used to having their rock parties and orgies.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2019, 10:21 PM

Well, the first container I did put stones in (which made it hard to lift) and intend to put a rock in for them to leap out on when the chaps get the rocks out of the pond.

The 2nd container I'm waiting till Monday to put rocks in.

Yes, there are plants in both containers. Little sods have to eat plus they rest on the plants too

I feel quite sad that this will be the last time I'll have frogs and tadpoles, but if it works out to be successful in rearing the taddies perhaps I might just bury one of the containers into the soil and see what happens. A sort of mini pond in the same area where they've been used to having their rock parties and orgies.

I think they only use water in which to breed, so perhaps that's a good idea and won't take up too much of your garden.

Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top