Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Car sickness in dog

Hi. I'm finding that Diego doesnt like traveling in the car.
He doesnt even like getting in the car. Peaches is fine and quite happily jumps in the back and just lies down the whole time.
Ive managed to take Diego for short journeys of say twenty minutes or so but anything longer seems to cause him to be sick. He also does not want to sit in the back and climbs onto the front seat. In fact I was told that he went on a three hour car journey and was fine as he sat on my daughters lap the whole time.

I do need him to be able to travel in the car and today did not give him breakfast before setting off on an hour long drive home from Christmas at my sons house but he was a little sick when we got home.

I dont want to have to give him drugs to travel but wondered if anyone could recommend any other remedies.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Re: Car sickness in dog

Where do you live in UK?
We have used one we found to be very helpful.
She is in Bedfordshire if that's any help.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 10:17 PM

My dog was always travel sick from the day we picked her up as a pup.

We used to have her in the back with one of those 'gate' things across.

I went to the vets and he gave me some pills. From memory, I think the dosage was either one or two tabs. I decided to give her half a tab. It totally knocked her out.
I was glad I didn't give her the prescribed dose.
I never gave any more to her after that.
I tended to alter my driving for her, taking things easier around bends and stopping etc. She used to salivate badly too.

When I changed my car. She sat in the front seat. Et voila. Everything fine and dandy. Ok, different sort of car, more open and with a sun roof, but I think being in the front seat helped her.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
My dog was always travel sick from the day we picked her up as a pup.

We used to have her in the back with one of those 'gate' things across.

I went to the vets and he gave me some pills. From memory, I think the dosage was either one or two tabs. I decided to give her half a tab. It totally knocked her out.
I was glad I didn't give her the prescribed dose.
I never gave any more to her after that.
I tended to alter my driving for her, taking things easier around bends and stopping etc. She used to salivate badly too.

When I changed my car. She sat in the front seat. Et voila. Everything fine and dandy. Ok, different sort of car, more open and with a sun roof, but I think being in the front seat helped her.
Difficult one. My dear wife's osteopath has had labs over the years. All except this last one were fine in the car.. The last one gets sick. They are all the same breed and from the same kennels.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

27-12-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Hi. I'm finding that Diego doesnt like traveling in the car.
He doesnt even like getting in the car. Peaches is fine and quite happily jumps in the back and just lies down the whole time.
Ive managed to take Diego for short journeys of say twenty minutes or so but anything longer seems to cause him to be sick. He also does not want to sit in the back and climbs onto the front seat. In fact I was told that he went on a three hour car journey and was fine as he sat on my daughters lap the whole time.

I do need him to be able to travel in the car and today did not give him breakfast before setting off on an hour long drive home from Christmas at my sons house but he was a little sick when we got home.

I dont want to have to give him drugs to travel but wondered if anyone could recommend any other remedies.
I think it is down to being nervous. I know you don't want to go down the medication route but I've heard that melatonin can help with that. Check with your vet.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Firstly take the pressure out by not putting diego in the car to travel for a while, just feed him in there. Let him see if he gets in he'll get a treat.
Then find out if it's positional sickness. Our late katie couldn't travel in the boot area she would chuck up before we left the carpark, late mollie was ill on the back seat. Katie we cured by putting her on the front seat in a carrier, mollie had a big duvet in the boot.

If it is positional you can fix that.

If it isn't you might need tablets from the vet that stop him being sick, I don't know what they are like these days it used to be only used for short periods and knocked the dog out flat. They may have improved them now though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Firstly take the pressure out by not putting diego in the car to travel for a while, just feed him in there. Let him see if he gets in he'll get a treat.
Then find out if it's positional sickness. Our late katie couldn't travel in the boot area she would chuck up before we left the carpark, late mollie was ill on the back seat. Katie we cured by putting her on the front seat in a carrier, mollie had a big duvet in the boot.

If it is positional you can fix that.

If it isn't you might need tablets from the vet that stop him being sick, I don't know what they are like these days it used to be only used for short periods and knocked the dog out flat. They may have improved them now though.

That's all what I would have said, Julie.
Even if it is 'positional', the fear and anticipation builds up in their mind before you set off even.

I agree that the movement of the car is felt much more towards the back of the car, so I would do what you suggesed and have him in a pet carrier next to me where he could see me and hopefully feel more reassured, and also feel less car movement too.

MC, was he used to car travel with your daughter, or has he never been in a car before?
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 01:17 PM

A lot of dogs have this problem -and you must be very care it doesnt cause the dog anxiety ' i had a champion old english sheep dog suffered a lot of sickness due to the ride -so i just stopped it -he to hated the car , i worked for rspca for many years so i heard a lot of this problem from people ' some old gent told me put a chain under the car at the back let it hang ' not sure to be honest but worth a try ' my dog was so stressed out i was advised to keep him out of the motor ..
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:31 PM

No he has been in cars before but hes known for being sick in cars or even once hes got out after the journey. He doesnt like getting into the car either and has to be lifted in.
Charlotte told me that when they went to Cornwall in the summer that she kept him on her lap in the front for 3 hours and he was fine till it was her turn to drive. Sometimes, hes very small, he has laid in her lap on short journeys while she drove. I'm not doing that though, too dangerous.

I'm planning to take them places in the car with me this coming year so I'm just going to try different things. Maybe if he was in some sort of harness type bed that holds him in check on the front seat he will not notice the movement. I will try planning journeys with lots of stops where I can walk him a bit for a break as well. I also talk to and stroke him while we are in the car to reassure him. Charlottes friend also said while he was in his car with him he rested his head in the guys hand while he was driving.

Im really worried about medication though
Mondays child
United Kingdom

28-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
A lot of dogs have this problem -and you must be very care it doesnt cause the dog anxiety ' i had a champion old english sheep dog suffered a lot of sickness due to the ride -so i just stopped it -he to hated the car , i worked for rspca for many years so i heard a lot of this problem from people ' some old gent told me put a chain under the car at the back let it hang ' not sure to be honest but worth a try ' my dog was so stressed out i was advised to keep him out of the motor ..
Yes Ive seen these. I was led to believe they reduce static building up in the car. I will try anything as I hate the fact the poor little thing gets upset and unwell in the car

The other alternative is I teach him to drive so he will be to busy to be sick. 😁😁😁

Wait. Ive just seen something about giving your dog ginger to help with sickness.
My ex used to live on ginger biscuits when she was pregnant with Charlotte and had terrible morning sickness. I would have to find out more first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top