Join for free
Page 10 of 28 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Got a memo from our HQ about brexit today.

It said its been working with the UK government for 2 years and measures are on place for a no deal.

I wonder how many other large international companies are telling their employees the same.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Got a memo from our HQ about brexit today.

It said its been working with the UK government for 2 years and measures are on place for a no deal.

I wonder how many other large international companies are telling their employees the same.
I'm not sure what sort of company that is, but it seems to be better prepared than our glorious leaders. They've been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for two weeks!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not sure what sort of company that is, but it seems to be better prepared than our glorious leaders. They've been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for two weeks!

Ha ha ...

Company I work with is the biggest drug company in the world so I guess they have a lot if shareholders to keep happy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Ha ha ...

Company I work with is the biggest drug company in the world so I guess they have a lot if shareholders to keep happy.
If they're that big, they should take over the UK government.

Somebody needs to get them sorted out anyway.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Company I work for started making plans prior to the referendum for all eventualities they said it takes that long to organise an conglomerate they were taking no chances on what ever way it was going to go, husbands firm also made plans about 18 months ago apparently and are actually hoping for no deal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
company i work for started making plans prior to the referendum for all eventualities they said it takes that long to organise an conglomerate they were taking no chances on what ever way it was going to go, husbands firm also made plans about 18 months ago apparently and are actually hoping for no deal.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muckypup ->
Nope did not vote as did not believe arguments from either side.
It is only now we are beginning to see the economic damage that leaving will do especially to our manufacturing industries and there is insufficient evidence to show we will be better off out of the EU. It is a long term bet with much more uncertainty in it. We know what it costs to be in it.

Also such jibes totally show what kind of non thinking little englander individual you must be. Always remember insults and violence are the last refuge of the incompetent and uneducated

Well said sir
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
From your accusation of us being 'non-thinking little englanders' you sound to be 'incompetent and uneducated' yourself.

That backfired on you, didn't it?

Still, if you are content to hand over your country to a foreign power, so be it.
Nationalism/patriotism is the last vestige of a scoundrel.

Samuel Johnson 1775 how true, scoundrels, when challenged, will often use false patriotism in order to shut up their opponents.
Muckypup
New Member!
Northamptonshire
Muckypup is male 

11-01-2019, 06:45 PM

Nowhere near all EU rules are fiddly and negative your product guarantees are now much longer than before. Gender, disability equality and employment rights are stronger along with many individual rights.

Agreed the EU is in need of emergency care. Italy raises 2 fingers to the EC and fix their own budget. The Greeks blatantly lied about their GDP to get in and paid the price. Spain's economy is a mess and yes there is a move of federalism especially from the French although their social benefits structure is untenable.

All this offers an opportunity to use our economic strength to acquire and influence. However if that market is closed to us the first thing to disappear is likely to be one of our biggest GDP earners the financial services sector. They do not have to deal with us and many leading international financial organisations are already opening companies in Europe.

Our manufacturing can be excluded by their fiddly little rules e.g. they write the ISO standards and currently our goods comply but it costs a lot to get the certification. If we want to paddle our own canoe manufacturers will have to pay for both ISO qualification (if we wish to sell to Europe) AND UK qualification test. This costs many £10k's and is an extra burden also ISO is accepted by other countries . Add in the loss of research grants (the UK was the largest beneficiary of EC research grants last time I was negotiating them).

Add in loss of security collaboration at such a time of heightened terrorism. Is it worth it? Also will you explain your justification to the relatives of the victims of the next atrocity which shared security information could have prevented?

World business is already global note the loss of 4000+ jobs at Jaguar Land Rover and the opening by the company of a new factories in Slovakia and China. One cannot turn the clock back our economy is at the mercy of global companies.

Still if you want to sail into the sunset in your sinking economy with your "we are an independent island colours nail to the mast so be it"
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Brexit will come crashing down with neither side happy.

Page 10 of 28 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top