Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 07:12 AM

Re: Depression and TV viewing

Some depressed people may be binge TV watchers, that's true, but it doesn't mean every person who does it is because they are depressed. That sort of research is always questionable.

There's so much rubbish on TV. We have a smart TV and mainly "create" our own evening's viewing from YouTube, iview and DVDs. Apart from a few good BBC programs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 10:35 AM

I don't know how people can sit still long enough to watch more than one episode of a programme at once I soon get fidgety and need to go and do some jobs.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't know how people can sit still long enough to watch more than one episode of a programme at once I soon get fidgety and need to go and do some jobs.

Well if ya gotta go - ya gotta go
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 12:52 PM

I aways get a laugh out of these surveys, everything has to be put into little categories these days, the researchers seem to have little to be doing, people watch what they want to watch so what’s the big deal? I can tell you for nothing and without doing any expensive research that some folks would watch soaps all day while others prefer sports, films, reality shows, quizzes. And heres another fact for the advertisers benefit, we all hate your ads and turn them off every chance we get, it’s that simple, and you can leave the ‘Binge’ word for the drinkers, binge watchers indeed, has a ring to it, like a heavy door slamming, could they not be a bit more original.
In the meantime, and to keep the researchers happy, why don’t they research how many times we blink when the news is on, do we blink more times when bad news is on or when good news is on? Let them get their teeth into that to keep them happy for a while, they could call their study ‘Binge Blinking’
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I'm the same way. The only days I watch TV is on Sunday, as that is my day to turn everything off (phone, computer, etc) and just relax. But even then I'm not watching regular TV, I plug in my own movies.

Back in the days of watching TV, like with my son's dad, for example, he'd always get frustrated with me because I could never sit through a whole show.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Binge viewing is something I do not do and I've not actually seen a good film for ages now as I find many of them too violent, too noisy or just too plain bad to waste my time on and, possible, risk sliding into depression!

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I really like to be entertained, amused or occasionally provoked into deep thought by a film, not sit through ludicrous dialogue, impossible stunts and wooden acting.

I could actually be missing some good films but to be honest I've found a lot of the hype that precedes films these days is completely misplaced so I don't bother now. stevmk2
Hi Steve. So give us the titles of three of your all time favourite films. Just out of interest.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:26 PM

I'm not a big tv lover these days. But, I do think if you watch something that really interests you, then you can watch for a while. If I wasn't enjoying it then I'd have restless legs. If I love it then I watch umpteen episodes and it fair cheers me up. Better than a tonic
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Hi Steve. So give us the titles of three of your all time favourite films. Just out of interest.
You'll laugh.........

Night of the Hunter, with Robert Mitchum in the lead role as "Reverend" Harry Powell.

The Searchers with John Wayne as Ethan Edwards.

Cat Ballou - mainly for Lee Marvin as Tim Strawn / Kid Shelleen. stevmk2
Tim
New Member!
US
Tim is male 

27-03-2015, 03:02 PM

I think there is definitely some truth to the study. Sure you might binge watch every once in a while because the show is addicting, that doesn't mean you are depressed.

If you are a habitual binge watcher I can see the reason. Maybe you feel like you have nothing better to do all the time so you binge watch.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 04:53 PM

By the same token, what about all the people who are on their computers nearly 24/7? And what about back in the older days before the internet when TV was all we had?

It says, and I quote, “When binge-watching becomes rampant, viewers may neglect their work and their relationships with others may suffer..."

The same can be said for sitting on the computer constantly. A friend of mine, who is now divorced, made the computer his life. He'd get up in the morning and sit on the computer until it was time to go to work. Then after work, the first thing he did when he got home was plop himself back down in front of his computer and there is where he stayed until it was time for bed. Then, after completely ignoring his wife and kids all evening, he'd jump in bed with his wife and expect her to put out to him. I warned him that he was heading for disaster by putting the computer before everything else and disaster is exactly what happened. His wife kicked him out of the house and filed for divorce.

But I'm sure there's a study for that somewhere, too. There's a 'study' for everything these days. And many of these studies, since they sensationalize them and give them names (this disorder and that disorder) may very well be the cause of people's depression and paranoia. I habitually pull out eyebrow hairs. Should I be in a strait jacket?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top