Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 03:10 AM

Wifi Hotspots

I have been updating my two laptops, a Lenovo with Win 7 and an old Dell netbook running Ubuntu/Linux.

Two reasons, I go overseas next week so I shall be using the netbook while I am travelling and also Clumsy's question on a USB DVD made me wonder if mine still works (it does).

When I updated the Lenovo I upgraded a few of the Lenovo drivers while I was at it.

Surprise, surprise... the Lenovo can now act as a WiFi hotspot just like a mobile phone. I think it is a feature of only limited use unless you have a cat 5/6 LAN wired household like mine or you use a mobile phone/dongle as a modem connected via USB. (It may well be that all new laptops have this feature, mine is a few years old)

Interesting though that laptops have taken a step in this direction especially now the sales of tablets have slowed, if not exactly stalled, and laptop sales picked up a bit.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Re: Wifi Hotspots

This new HP Envy of mine has WiFi hotspot listed in the connections list, something else I will have to learn about. Enjoy your holiday and thanks again for your previous information.
Tim
New Member!
US
Tim is male 

27-03-2015, 03:23 PM

Re: Wifi Hotspots

The Wifi hotspots come in handy. Especially if you travel a lot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top