Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Horrendus fires in California.

Lots people made homeless, some have even died. The town of 'Paradise' just about burnt to the ground. Obviously the winds have swept the flames across the state but does anyone know what started it in the first place?

My heart goes out to those poor people.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:44 PM

Re: Horrendus fires in California.

It certainly is horrific isn't it, Tabs.

Last I heard, over 6,000 homes were burnt out and it was spreading the size of a football pitch every three seconds. Unbelievable isn't it.

Nine deaths I heard, but many more people missing and unaccounted for.

I don't know if they take their animals when they have to evacuate?

How did it start, does anyone know?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:55 PM

I think California has these terrible fires every year......
Why would people chose to live there. We have fires way up in Northern Ontario also. I wouldn't live up there either.....

Some people in North Ontario (that I talked to), seem to take it in their stride as part of nature....some have hurricanes, some have tornados, etc etc......they have fires. Sad but true.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:59 PM

Miley Cyrus, Neil Young, Gerard Butler among those to lose homes in California wildfires.....

Here is a link to a video on the fires that are right now on CNN...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us/ca...ies/index.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I think California has these terrible fires every year......
Why would people chose to live there. We have fires way up in Northern Ontario also. I wouldn't live up there either.....

Some people in North Ontario (that I talked to), seem to take it in their stride as part of nature....some have hurricanes, some have tornados, etc etc......they have fires. Sad but true.

However do they get any house insurance?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:06 PM

I've watched these news reports with a heavy heart. In such situations it seems that we are totally helpless.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Since we, and presumably they, Know that trees and shrubs burn, why do they keep insisting on surrounding their properties with trees and shrubs??? Why not, as the Fire Brigade and Forest Service ask, build fire breaks around their properties ??? - is that too sensible???
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Miley Cyrus, Neil Young, Gerard Butler among those to lose homes in California wildfires.....

Here is a link to a video on the fires that are right now on CNN...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us/ca...ies/index.html
Not so worried about the celebrities, Blue, they can afford to rebuild. What about your average man/woman in the street - how on earth do they cope? And where do all the 1,000s of evacuees go to?

Were these fires started deliberately or are they spontaneous combustion - in which case - why do people want to live in such a dangerous place?
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:56 AM

One of my son's girlfriends has had to evacuate her home in Malibu.Luckily her home has escaped the blaze but she doesn't know when she'll be able to return,there is still so much smoke around.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since we, and presumably they, Know that trees and shrubs burn, why do they keep insisting on surrounding their properties with trees and shrubs??? Why not, as the Fire Brigade and Forest Service ask, build fire breaks around their properties ??? - is that too sensible???
Most forests in California are federal managed but unfortunately funding has been cut. Whether it has anything to do with it being a Democrat state I could not say.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top