Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Preventing winter virus's

Every year at the start of winter I seem to get a virus that leaves me feeling low & depressed and with a chesty cough that lasts for weeks.

I decided to try & prevent it this year so last November I started taking echinacea & vitamin C every day.

I was disappointed when the virus struck last week in spite of all my efforts - I was really ill with it too but at least I seem to be almost over it now and no lingering after effects.

I'm wondering if this mean my echinacea & vitamin c have helped or is it just a coincidence that I've got over it quicker?

I was wondering if any of out members do anything to prevent winter bugs?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Re: Preventing winter virus's

Hand washing a lot and I have taught myself to not touch my face Carol, I found I was touching door handles etc and then later my face. Transferring the bugs effectively into my system. By not doing that I believe I have improved my health greatly during the winter.

I do take vitamin c and a multi vitamin because I have limited diet rather than to keep bugs at bay but they may help I don't know.

Hope you feel better soon, spring won't be far away sun always seems more healthy somehow.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Every year at the start of winter I seem to get a virus that leaves me feeling low & depressed and with a chesty cough that lasts for weeks.

I decided to try & prevent it this year so last November I started taking echinacea & vitamin C every day.

I was disappointed when the virus struck last week in spite of all my efforts - I was really ill with it too but at least I seem to be almost over it now and no lingering after effects.

I'm wondering if this mean my echinacea & vitamin c have helped or is it just a coincidence that I've got over it quicker?

I was wondering if any of out members do anything to prevent winter bugs?

Sterilize your system - this is why I add a tot of Brandy to my coffee some (not every) days.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Hi Carol

Firstly, to my mind, there is no such thing as a "winter" virus. Viruses aren't aware of the seasons and don't all run off to far countries during the summer and then come back at winter.

The prevalence of cold and flu viruses every year at this time of year is therefore down to something else, and you should think long and hard about what it is imho.

Echinacea and Vit C should help but as with all things there are dirrerent types and qualities. Personally I would not rely on Vit C tablets or capsules. I would get your Vit C directly from citrus fruits and good vegetables and have plenty of them. I believe you would find those massively more effective than capsules.

Similarly with garlic. Never take garlic capsules thinking you'll get the benefit of garlic without the unpleasant stinky breath. Those capsules are junk. Have lots of real garlic and have it often. Also ginger and chilli.

Secondly, every time you suffer these viruses your body builds up its own antibodies and that increases your immunity for a another few years.

A bigger factor is possibly the amount of Vit D you managed to absorb/generate from being exposed to sunshine in the weeks/months before you caught the virus. Have you been out in teh sun much? Have you been abroad etc?

And of course the $64,000 question . . . . . Did you have the flu vaccine this year?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 10:29 AM

I have never ever had 'flu, and haven't had a cold/virus for about 30 years.
I put it down to eating a wholesome diet including lots of fresh fruit, homemade soup, garlic and onions.

Also - lots of fresh air!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Some good advice here Carol, and mine would be; Avoid other people, especially large groups (public transport, hospitals, waiting rooms)...Most colds and virus's are transmitted from person to person and the warmer the environment the longer the bugs will stay airborne. Your resistance will be low after the stress of the festive season, and less able to fight off infection.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Yes they will help a lot carol but the other suggestions are great also especially avoiding other people. I can’t remember the last time I had a cold or the flu. I take vitamins but I think it’s because I avoid most people.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:10 PM

I reckon one of the worst culprits for spreading Winter viruses are hairdressers. The number of times Mrs LD has come back from the hairdressers saying 'That (insert name) has got a terrible cold.' Then two days later, she has it, then I get it. They should wear a mask when dealing with the public.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the comments & advice.

I have had the flu jab as I do every year but I still manage to catch a nasty virus.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 02:36 PM

I always have the jab but I always wonder what I am catching in the surgery at the same time.

Another thing I always stopped the kids playing with the toys in the waiting room, we would have a book or toy we took with us because all those sick sicks licking and playing with the toys seemed unhealthiest idea I ever saw

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top