Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 06:00 AM

Re: Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

That’s interesting looking Bruce but I prefer my soup.lol
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:28 AM

My favourite home made slow cooker recipe is pork, cider and apple casserole. Simply yummy, but not made it for awhile.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:49 AM

There are some veggies, but I dont know which, that I have found make my slow cooker veg soup very bitter to the point I threw most of it away. When I first made soup I just thought I needed to just buy lots of veg and just chop it up and turn the SC on and leave it. I think theres more to it than that.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:04 PM

I have made this soup several times now and its lovely with crusty bread and butter.

Tomato Soup.

2lb ripe tomatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
1 stick celery
2tbs olive oil
2tsp tomato purée
1tsp caster sugar
2 bay leaves
2 pints veg stock
(double cream, to serve.. optional)

Wash toms and cut in to quarters, peel and chop onion, celery and carrot finely. Sweat the veg in the olive oil gently for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato purée, then the toms, S&P, sugar and bay leaves, cover and stew gently for another 10 minutes Add the stock, bring to the boil and then cook on simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and whizz everything, reheat and check seasoning. Use or freeze as necessary.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
There are some veggies, but I dont know which, that I have found make my slow cooker veg soup very bitter to the point I threw most of it away. When I first made soup I just thought I needed to just buy lots of veg and just chop it up and turn the SC on and leave it. I think theres more to it than that.
Spose it all comes down to personal taste, and putting in what you’d normally eat.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 07:23 PM

It's always a good idea to have some kind of stock as a base for the soup rather than just plain water. I use Knorr veg stockpots for veg soups, home-made chicken stocks or Knorr beef stock-pots for other soups all containing the peppers, leeks/onions, celery and ginger. All other veggies depending what I have but not too many carrots as they tend to make the soup a bit sweet and sickly for my taste. I use the soups as sauces for meat-based meals such as curries with other vegetables and spices added.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 04:58 AM

This is why I think it’s important to either experiment with vegetables you already know you like or follow a recipe.
I’ve done the same thing a few times.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

23-11-2018, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Spose it all comes down to personal taste, and putting in what you’d normally eat.
Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's always a good idea to have some kind of stock as a base for the soup rather than just plain water. I use Knorr veg stockpots for veg soups, home-made chicken stocks or Knorr beef stock-pots for other soups all containing the peppers, leeks/onions, celery and ginger. All other veggies depending what I have but not too many carrots as they tend to make the soup a bit sweet and sickly for my taste. I use the soups as sauces for meat-based meals such as curries with other vegetables and spices added.
I agree completely. Home made stock is actually super easy to make in a crock pot or slow cooker and can be made very cheaply. Instead of throwing out chicken or turkey bones, throw them in a freezer bag and toss them in the freezer. Once you have enough bones just toss them in your cooker along with a couple of carrots , celery, onion and ginger . Stock can be premade and frozen for later use.

Beef bones can be made for other types of soup like beef barley etc.

The stock / broth is much nicer than store bought and much cheaper too.

Judds stock recipe is very nice.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

23-11-2018, 05:05 AM

Make stock or broth first using turkey carcass. Add 1 onion, 2 carrots and 2 pieces of celery, 1 to 2 tbsps. grated ginger, 3 cloves garlic and 2 tbsp. fresh coriander ginger, salt & pepper to taste and enough water to fill pot or slow cooker.

Cool on high for 6 hours on slow cooker.

Take meat off carcass and discard it as well as the vegetables.

Add: vegetables of your choice

2 carrots
2 celery
1 leek
Piece of fennel
Red pepper
2 turnips
Green beans
Cooked, mashed sweet potato
28 ounce can diced tomatoes

2 turkey drumsticks
5 turkey wings

Cook for 6 hours or until all vegetables are tender and meat cooked. Toss our skin and bones from meat.

Add 4 servings of cooked rice after soup is cooked. This was long grain and wild rice.

This is the final soup.

This takes a bit of work but makes a really nice soup and a lot of it.

I have many easier , tasty soup recipes to add.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Can't beat a good home made soup!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top