Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Christmas Poem

Can't remember if I've shared this with you before, apologies if I have, if not, enjoy my poem.

A Christmas Poem

Christmas is a coming, Bev’ll be getting fatter
But at this time of year it really doesn’t matter

The turkey’ll be stuffed with lovely sausagemeat
The table will be dressed looking good and really neat

I’ll be making roast potatoes and also pigs in a blanket
The food will be aplenty rather like a banquet

There’ll be sprouts on our plate after which we’ll be trumping
We’ll stuff our belly way too much and end up like a dumpling

To finish we’ll have sweet of Christmas pud and custard
By now we’ll be feeling stuffed our trousers almost busted

After dinner we’ll sing carols squealing like a crazy cat
We’ll pull a Christmas cracker and wear a silly hat

We’ll tell pathetic jokes and laugh like cackling hens
We’ll be pulling silly faces down the camera lens

The beer and wine will flow, eggnog’ll make an appearance
In time we’ll start to slur our words becoming incoherent

Then off to bed we’ll go to dream a happy dream
Of waking up tomorrow for more Christmas pud and Cream!

©Lion Queen

Merry Christmas from me to you xxx
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 06:05 PM

Re: Christmas Poem

Clever
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Excellent!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 06:34 PM

I think I may have put this one up before - anyway - here it is:-

A CATASTROPHIC CHRISTMAS TALE !

I have always been daft about Christmas – it sends me quite childlike with excitement. I enjoy all the frantic shopping, and baking, and writing of cards but most of all, I love Christmas Trees. Real ones, of course, and the taller the better – I am convinced that they are magick. Unfortunately my cat, Merlin, does not share my enthusiasm – in fact he hates them!

Ever since his early kittenhood, when he made the mistake of trying to climb one and ended up looking like a small green porcupine, screeching to the world that it “Bit him, and if it did it again he would kill it stone dead !”, he has hated all Christmas Trees.

Every year I promise myself that I will find somewhere else to put it, but every year it ends up in the dining room – which Merlin regards as his own personal domain – so every year there is a fight. Last year, for example, the minute the tree arrived he began crawling around on his stomach, bawling threats from under the sideboard, and spitting at anyone who spoke to him. I fixed the tree firmly in its tub and went upstairs in search of the lights and decorations – there was a sickening crash – the dining-room carpet was covered in soil and pine needles, the tree cowered in a mangled heap beside its overturned tub………and Merlin ? He was very busy on the kitchen windowsill talking to the birds. “It wasn’t his fault if the stupid tree fainted was it ? He was only patting it to make it feel welcome !”.

Having cleaned up and replanted the tree, I carefully tested all the lights before arranging them in the branches, then came the glass balls, then the bells, then the tinsel – then came a large tabby paw – instant mayhem ! I swore at him, he spat at me, and things might have turned quite nasty if a friend had not chosen that moment to remind me that it was the season of goodwill to all – even cats ! Muttering that THAT cat would make Machiavelli look like a saint, I went off to make some coffee. There was a sickening crash – the dining room carpet was covered in soil, pine needles, tinsel, and broken glass – and Merlin ? he was sitting by the bedroom fire, “Noisy things Christmas Trees”, he said, “Cannot have a decent catnap anywhere today !”.

Having cleaned up (again) and replanted the now rather battered looking tree, rearranged the surviving balls and tinsel – I discovered that the lights would not work. It was not until I walked around the tree at least four times, checking every wretched light bulb, that I noticed the teeth mark through the flex – and Merlin ? He was sitting on the sideboard making rude remarks about the Angel on the tree top. Now, Angels are normally very good about that sort of thing – but this one had had a very trying day, and she let that cat have a few home truths ! Before I could stop him Merlin sprang – and for a few dizzy moments I had 1 1/4 stone of hissing, spitting, tabby hanging from the tree top by his whiskers, vowing that “He ate Angels - for breakfast !”,- there was a sickening crash……
But I am sure you’ve got the picture. I still have nightmares about Christmas Trees cringing in terror, as giant tabby cats pursue the Herald Angels, who don’t seem to be singing very much at all !

Happy Christmas!

(Merlin died in 1993 aged 21 years - I think Nemo could be a recycled version!)
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 08:15 PM

awwww Tabby, thats a right memory you have there of Merlin x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 12:43 AM

Very good LQ...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-12-2018, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
awwww Tabby, thats a right memory you have there of Merlin x
Sorry LQ - wasn't thinking. I should have put up my story on it's own and not hijacked your lovely poem.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 09:24 AM

What talented ladies we have on OFF....loved both the poem and the story....Happy Christmas
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sorry LQ - wasn't thinking. I should have put up my story on it's own and not hijacked your lovely poem.
Hey no worries tabby, I right enjoyed reading it xx
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Old but good:

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the casa
Not a creature was stirring, caramba! Qué pasa?
Los niños were tucked away in their camas
Some in vestidos and some in pajamas.

While Mamá worked in her little cocina,
El viejo was down at the corner cantina.
The stockings were hanging with mucho cuidado,
In hopes that Saint Nicholas would feel obligado

To bring all the children both buenos and malos
A nice bunch of dulces and other regalos
Outside in the yard, there arose such a grito
That I jumped to my feet like a frightened cabrito

I ran to the window and looked afuera,
And who in the world do you think that it era?
Saint Nick in a sleigh and a big read sombrero
Came dashing along like a crazy bombero!

And pulling his sleigh, instead of venados,
Were eight little burros approaching volados.
I watched as they came and this quaint little hombre
Was shouting and whistling and calling by nombre:

Ay Chato! Ay Pepe! Ay Cuca! Ay Beto!
Ay Pancho! Ay Chopo! Maruca y Nieto!’
Then standing erect with his hand on his pecho,
He flew to the top of our very own techo!

With his round little belly like a bowl of jalea,
He struggled to squeeze down our old chimenea,
Then huffing and puffing, at last in our sala,
With soot smeared all over his red suit de gala;

He filled the stockings with lovely regalos,
For none of the niños had been very malos.
Then chuckling along, seeming very contento,
He turned like a flash and was gone like el viento.

And I heard him exclaim and this is verdad,
‘Merry Christmas to all, Feliz Navidad!’

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top