Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 12:47 AM

Christmas past

I have been reminiscing today, on Christmas past. I can remember my best friend putting on a Christmas beard, my son had been wearing, he had been eating prawns and was only little, so he dribbled .
She promptly took it off asking where on earth I had put it!

Have you been reflected on Christmas passed?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 03:44 AM

Re: Christmas past

Yes. I’ve been reminiscing about Christmas past for years now.
I came from a very musical family. Everyone in our family played a musical instrument but my mom. She’s tone deaf.
At Christmas every year after our feast we would play Christmas carols on our instruments and sing. My dad played piano, my brother played trumpet , my other brother played trombone and I played saxophone. I lost a brother and after that we didn’t often get together at Christmas. My parents always went to Florida for Christmas. This year I bought a new soprano saxophone and asked my brother to bring his trumpet up and he did so some of my reminiscing actually happened.

My parents aren’t going to have many Christmases left and we want to create happy memories for the time they have left.
We played about 12 songs . I played the melody and he played harmony and it didn’t sound too shabby. The most important thing was that my parents LOVED it. They were tickled pink. It was so touching. It was heartwarming and it was fun. It was so bittersweet I couldn’t stay long or I would have been a puddle of tears. My parents are dying and I did reminisce about past Christmases from over 40 years ago.

I wish I had gotten my husband to take pics of us but I forgot to ask.
He did record a song though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 04:15 AM

How beaiitiful.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes. I’ve been reminiscing about Christmas past for years now.
I came from a very musical family. Everyone in our family played a musical instrument but my mom. She’s tone deaf.
At Christmas every year after our feast we would play Christmas carols on our instruments and sing. My dad played piano, my brother played trumpet , my other brother played trombone and I played saxophone. I lost a brother and after that we didn’t often get together at Christmas. My parents always went to Florida for Christmas. This year I bought a new soprano saxophone and asked my brother to bring his trumpet up and he did so some of my reminiscing actually happened.

My parents aren’t going to have many Christmases left and we want to create happy memories for the time they have left.
We played about 12 songs . I played the melody and he played harmony and it didn’t sound too shabby. The most important thing was that my parents LOVED it. They were tickled pink. It was so touching. It was heartwarming and it was fun. It was so bittersweet I couldn’t stay long or I would have been a puddle of tears. My parents are dying and I did reminisce about past Christmases from over 40 years ago.

I wish I had gotten my husband to take pics of us but I forgot to ask.
He did record a song though.
Lovely
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Oh Bratti what a wonderful thing to do.
That post was so touching.x
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 11:51 PM

I do it every year Sweetie Pie. Once the tree is up and the lights are on, I am transported back to times when both sets of grandparents were around, when they used to stay for the whole week drinking tea and eating turkey sandwiches.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

27-12-2018, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I do it every year Sweetie Pie. Once the tree is up and the lights are on, I am transported back to times when both sets of grandparents were around, when they used to stay for the whole week drinking tea and eating turkey sandwiches.
I honestly think we all do Longlegs.
We watched a video of my late MIL and the BIL we lost this year. It actually made me cry.
It was a wonderful Christmas that we all spent together a few years back.

It is the anniversary of when I lost my own younger brother today. 18 years ago today.
I still miss him.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 01:32 AM

I’m sorry Sweetie.
Maybe that’s why Christmas is so bittersweet. It’s wrapped up with so much emotion.

We had some really fun Christmases when we were kids. My parents started driving down to Florida every fall for 6 months of the year , starting in the ‘80’s. Before that we always sang so many songs. The toughest part this year was when my dad wanted to get involved. Usually he plays the piano but I’m not sure he can do that any more. We were playing by ear and he wanted us to play certain carols but we didn’t instantly know all the songs so he went to his piano bench and got out a list of all the Christmas carols he liked and handed copies to both of us. It wasn’t music but just the words so he either wanted us to play the songs or sing the songs with him along with the music like we used to do. He didn’t quite understand that we can’t play the music and sing at the same time. One of those instances where I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I honestly think we all do Longlegs.
We watched a video of my late MIL and the BIL we lost this year. It actually made me cry.
It was a wonderful Christmas that we all spent together a few years back.

It is the anniversary of when I lost my own younger brother today. 18 years ago today.
I still miss him.
Of course you do, you always will and Christmas makes it more poignant. I don't have any film of my Christmases as a child or many photos for that matter so I think my memories are all the best bits rolled into one.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

27-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m sorry Sweetie.
Maybe that’s why Christmas is so bittersweet. It’s wrapped up with so much emotion.

We had some really fun Christmases when we were kids. My parents started driving down to Florida every fall for 6 months of the year , starting in the ‘80’s. Before that we always sang so many songs. The toughest part this year was when my dad wanted to get involved. Usually he plays the piano but I’m not sure he can do that any more. We were playing by ear and he wanted us to play certain carols but we didn’t instantly know all the songs so he went to his piano bench and got out a list of all the Christmas carols he liked and handed copies to both of us. It wasn’t music but just the words so he either wanted us to play the songs or sing the songs with him along with the music like we used to do. He didn’t quite understand that we can’t play the music and sing at the same time. One of those instances where I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry.
I play by ear Bratti.
Only a couple of instruments.
Memories eh? They are all in the corners of our minds. X

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Of course you do, you always will and Christmas makes it more poignant. I don't have any film of my Christmases as a child or many photos for that matter so I think my memories are all the best bits rolled into one.
I agree Longlegs, the film's in our memories are the best ones.
I wonder what memories my boys will have of me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top