Join for free
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:22 AM

Re: No-deal Brexit impacts

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Hopefully we'll just let them drown or offer to let the EU take them back.
I hoped this attitude was non existent in the UK. 🕯
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Hi

People have genuine concerns about the impact of Brexit, and in particular the impact of a No Deal.

Our Government have not exactly covered themselves in glory with either their negotiating skills or their preparations for leaving.

We have upset many of the 40 odd Non EU countries we have free trade deals with as being part of the EU.

It is impossible to predict accurately what will happen when we leave.

What we do know is our lack of preparedness for leaving and negotiating new trade deals.

No other Country in the world has ever sought to negotiate so many Trade Deals simultaneously.

We do not have enough Trade Negotiators to do this, nobody has.

It is wait and see time, which makes people nervous.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Taken from the link...

In other words you can post as many figures and analyses as you like and they can only be speculation because no one knows for sure what the outcome will be when we leave the EU with or without an agreement.

We will just have to wait and see .
Absolutely. Apparently the sky was going to fall down and the apocalypse was going to happen day after we voted leave, I held my breath nothing happened. We just have to wait and see. People pro think not much will happen people against think sky will fall down my bet is it's somewhere in between.

Way I look at it within EU we have huge problems outside it might be better, will have to wait and see now. What I do predict pretty sure I am right is anything goes wrong in next decade or two we will hear cries of see it's because we left the EU no matter what the problem or why.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Well this is the situation for the UK after brexit. The dutch vessel picked up refugees afloat in the mediterranean. The intention was to debark them in italy. Italy refused the boat entry of port. So did spain and later on so did france.
Now the dutch vessel has to return to its dutch port of origin. It still has the refugees aboard, so they come to the netherlands. Which than is the country of entry, so the netherlands have to give shelter to refugees that were on their way to italy. I don't mind to give them that shelter. The government is apparently worried about precedents, and money. That is an administrative matter for brussels.

If a british vessel picks up refugees in the english channel, they bring them to the british port. Based on a bilateral agreement the UK sends them to france, and france sends them on to the country where they entered the EU. France can do that since they are in schengen, whereas britain opted out.
After brexit refugees picked up by british vessels cannot be send to france. The agreement between two EU countries (france and UK) is void. Refugees brought to france by the UK would enter the EU in france, and schengen says that france has to give shelter. France can no longer send them on.
So refugees picked up in the channel by british vessels will remain in the UK. Do you have facilities to house, feed and tend them?
When you say refugees what you actually mean is Economic Migrants.

You really must get the terminology right!
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Hopefully we'll just let them drown or offer to let the EU take them back.
Originally Posted by JBR ->
An Absolutely disgusting comment that has no place in a civilised society and you give it the thumbs up. The lack of any condemnation from any of the other Brexiteers on this forum is telling. Hoping desperate people would drown goes far beyond just xenophobia.
I gather that most of these people are from Afghanistan or Iraq, both countries we have undertaken military intervention and then abandoned those that assisted us such as interperators, mediators etc leaving then in fear of their lives
Fortunately this countries policy and international convention means we do rescue these people and look at the merits of each case
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
An Absolutely disgusting comment that has no place in a civilised society and you give it the thumbs up. The lack of any condemnation from any of the other Brexiteers on this forum is telling. Hoping desperate people would drown goes far beyond just xenophobia.
I gather that most of these people are from Afghanistan or Iraq, both countries we have undertaken military intervention and then abandoned those that assisted us such as interperators, mediators etc leaving then in fear of their lives
Fortunately this countries policy and international convention means we do rescue these people and look at the merits of each case
Sorry I missed that comment, yes I agree disgusting and inhumane. Makes me wonder about our humanity and why some people have lost it.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
When you say refugees what you actually mean is Economic Migrants.

You really must get the terminology right!
Actually they are a mixture of both so are not correct either
Tonyposts
New Member!
United Kingdom
Tonyposts is male 

05-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Absolutely. Apparently the sky was going to fall down and the apocalypse was going to happen day after we voted leave, I held my breath nothing happened. We just have to wait and see. People pro think not much will happen people against think sky will fall down my bet is it's somewhere in between.

Way I look at it within EU we have huge problems outside it might be better, will have to wait and see now. What I do predict pretty sure I am right is anything goes wrong in next decade or two we will hear cries of see it's because we left the EU no matter what the problem or why.
I must have missed the predictions of the sky falling down . What has happened since the referendum is that the UK's GDP growth has been around the lowest of the G7 countries whereas previously it was around the highest. Whether this was due to the vote or not is very hard to tell. For what it's worth, the Financial Times thinks that we've lost between 1% and 1.5% off the economy as a result of the vote. At the moment it's a slow drip effect, but the predicted impacts of a no-deal Brexit would be much bigger.

The problem with economics is that it's dull. Economic growth and tax forecasts don't grab the imagination, but the impact is felt in lots of diverse ways over many years such as pay freezes for nurses and teachers, NHS waiting lists growing, and budget squeezes on local authorities leading to potholes left unfilled and libraries closing.

Sure, life will go on whatever the Brexit outcome. But the UK does still have a choice, and that choice should be informed by all the available evidence, including a lot of independent forecasts which all show a significant economic loss from a no-deal Brexit. The problem with "wait and see" is that we could just sleepwalk into the worst no-deal outcome and find it very hard to claw our way back up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Brexit for many of us wasn't/isn't about money though so whatever happens we are willing to go through to get to where we want to be which is free of EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Actually they are a mixture of both so are not correct either
No. They cannot possibly be refugees if they have come from France. They have found refuge there.

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top