Join for free
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:43 PM

Samsung message App

A friend of mine has a Samsung phone and uses the default message App supplied by Samsung. Lately, I've been receiving messages from this friend that have had adverts attached at the end, the last one being for a personal security device.

Not having a Samsung phone and using the stock Android Messenger App myself I don't have this kind of problem. Anyone suggest a solution to stop these adverts appearing?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:52 PM

Re: Samsung message App

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A friend of mine has a Samsung phone and uses the default message App supplied by Samsung. Lately, I've been receiving messages from this friend that have had adverts attached at the end, the last one being for a personal security device.

Not having a Samsung phone and using the stock Android Messenger App myself I don't have this kind of problem. Anyone suggest a solution to stop these adverts appearing?
I have a Samsung phone and use 'Messages':
https://www.sammobile.com/apk/samsun...ages-4-4-30-5/

I have never seen any adverts and Marge has confirmed that she hasn't seen any when I have messaged her*.

(*We don't talk!)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:56 PM

Cheers JBR, the short messages aren't a problem. It seems to happen on longer text messages
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:01 AM

Cheers JBR, the short messages aren't a problem. It seems to happen on longer text messages
Do you have an ad blocker on your phone?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

16-01-2019, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Do you have an ad blocker on your phone?
The problem's not at my end it's the sender of the texts. Ad blockers only work with web browsers. I think that Samsung have sneaked in an advertising 'feature' in their messaging program probably sponsored by different companies.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:18 PM

I'm sorry, I have no advice and nothing constructive to say but I'm going to go off topic and just add that every time I see this thread title I read "Sausage App"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Nathan had a similar problem he found he had downloaded an app that brought with it these ads. Actually thinking back it was already installed he didn't download it himself. He had a nightmare getting rid of it as it came with the phone, I think it was a preinstalled picture app it was attached to.

His wasn't a samsung though it's an LG. But sounds very much like the problem he had.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

16-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Problem solved.

I got another text message from this person with another advert attached and noticed in the text that they had put a full-stop between two words rather than a space so it read the.news so the message app must have thought it was a link and attached it to the bottom of the text. Upon going back further and checking the other texts, the same thing had happened, a full-stop instead of a space.

Instructed them to read the texts properly before sending them next time.

Thanks for your input all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-01-2019, 07:32 PM

Problem solved.

I got another text message from this person with another advert attached and noticed in the text that they had put a full-stop between two words rather than a space so it read the.news so the message app must have thought it was a link and attached it to the bottom of the text. Upon going back further and checking the other texts, the same thing had happened, a full-stop instead of a space.

Instructed them to read the texts properly before sending them next time.

Thanks for your input all.
Ah, so correct spelling and punctuation has its practical advantages after all!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 02:30 PM

You have to be careful with some apps; I had an alarm app which reduced my battery from 90 to 5% within 30 hours.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top