Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 01:49 AM

Should we "Rewild"?

Rewilding. That is what they call the practice of restoring landscapes to a truly wild state, to help nature to recover.

There are those who think we should do this, and those against it.

It gives nature more space e.g. vast areas of woodland would be allowed to regenerate, and rivers would flow freely. Large numbers of grazing animals would be reintroduced. Some even say bring back Wolves, Lynx - and even Bears!
In fact, talks are already going on to release Brown Bears into some woodland in Bristol!

I have just seen of a dairy farm in Sussex who was 'rewilded' 19 years ago, in 2000.
The owners sold the farm machinery and let nature take over.
Now visitors go on safari's there to see the rare wildlife including threatened bat species, turtle doves, woodpeckers and nightingales, rare butterflies, longhorn cattle and Exmoor ponies. They think it better than seeing fields of wheat.

56% of our surviving UK species are in decline, and 15% are at real risk of extinction.

However, I think there is also sensible arguments 'Against' introducing certain animals too.

Some say, and quite rightly IMO, that it could take one really bad winter for these animals to turn up in our gardens looking for food scraps. This would cause a real risk to our own pets as well as ourselves.
Wolves would probably attack livestock and poultry too, especially at lambing.

Also, if farmers turned their fields over to wildnerness, where would all our food be grown?

So I am in two minds about this.
I would like to help nature, we have ruined so much of it, but don't fancy meeting a Bear when out with my dogs.

What do you think?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 03:35 AM

Re: Should we "Rewild"?

I think animals have decided for themselves to make a bid for freedom.
In recent weeks we've spotted a chimp, a tiger, a red panda and a seal outside captivity. Wild cats are in the procress of reintroduction as we speak.

Breeding is a huge part of wildlife conservation as it always has been and some species certainly need to be introduced back into the wild. Depending on where they are let loose of course.
We can't very well have tigers and white rhinos roaming around sleepy Buckinghamshire.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 08:37 AM

It's a nice idea but I would be afraid of bears wandering about the countryside they do infact kill people .
It would appearwe are doing the opposite building houses all over the countryside.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 09:04 AM

The trouble with re wild ( I’m all for it in a Disney film happy ending kind of way ) is you are upsetting the status quo of today by introducing not just any old animal but an apex predator and that rarely works out well for everything else .
I’m certain you can google the exact details but I think I’m correct in saying a guy in South Wales or somewhere years ago reintroduced red kytes , beautiful birds ( think buzzards with V shaped tails ) and having started with something like 20 birds today there are hundreds of them , I myself was watching some this summer in mid wales whilst I was down there filming and I’ve read several reports that from starting as a great idea many are now complaining they are becoming a pest in much the same way as buzzards are in many areas ... and these are ‘just birds’ ... so to have large cats , wolves , bears roaming the hills by the very nature of what they do best ( eat things and produce young) and without anything to predate on them then at some point they must become a pain in backside for someone somewhere
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Red kites were eradicated in England and Scotland but their remained a few pairs in Wales .
Thanks to protection they have made a remarkable recovery and can be seen extensively in the south west .
They are easily spotted all along the M4

( I think it was Judd who first pointed this out to me I was so thrilled to see this rare bird but now I am happy to say I see it all the time )
As it mainly eats carrion surely this is no bad thing .
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 09:37 AM

I’m not saying red kytes are a bad thing , simply saying I’ve read reports that as their population has increased that for every action is an equal and opposite reaction somewhere and to have wolves and bears wandering around whilst it may sound great in a happy clappy way there would be no going back

https://youtu.be/hZqNwEIv-Tc

https://youtu.be/W7fAcdbZXVM

https://youtu.be/lp41Dl4uRvg
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 01:45 PM

We have many, many Red Kites round here. There is not a day goes by where I don't see at least a couple.

About three miles away there is also a big land fill place, and when driving past there last summer, I counted 11 Kites circling round.

I often know when one's about, because if I am outside, some of the smaller birds make a lot of noise and start flying haphazardly as if they are warning each other. Within a short time I hear Mr. Kites funny high-pitched voice and sure enough, there he is, gliding around, hardly moving his wings at all, just gliding and calling out.

They are quite brazen sometimes, and fly down to only just above the house roofs as if they are checking gardens. They are low enough to see the colours and markings under their wings easily.

It always makes me think of our Nom when the kites are about, he would have loved to see them.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

15-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Look out bambi !!!!

With a 1000 years of safety behind them deers are suddenly going to find themselves on the menu again . Quite why we feel the need to reintroduce a predator from so long in our past is only known to the lunatics behind this project but it’s all systems go to keep some small group happy

Wild lynx to be reintroduced to Britain after more than 1,000 years
https://mol.im/a/6705921

The Eurasian lynx, the third largest predator native to Europe after the brown bear and grey wolf, is believed to have been extinct in Britain since 700AD.

But the Lynx UK Trust is set to submit a second licence application this summer to bring the big cats back to Kielder Forest in Northumberland.

The organisation has also selected three forest areas in Scotland for lynx, with an application due in the autumn which could see lynx return to the UK this year.

While supporters of 'rewilding' claim reintroducing the lynx would help to control deer populations and boost tourism, farmers have expressed concerns that lynx could pose a threat to their lambs.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Rewilding. That is what they call the practice of restoring landscapes to a truly wild state, to help nature to recover.

There are those who think we should do this, and those against it.

It gives nature more space e.g. vast areas of woodland would be allowed to regenerate, and rivers would flow freely. Large numbers of grazing animals would be reintroduced. Some even say bring back Wolves, Lynx - and even Bears!
In fact, talks are already going on to release Brown Bears into some woodland in Bristol!

I have just seen of a dairy farm in Sussex who was 'rewilded' 19 years ago, in 2000.
The owners sold the farm machinery and let nature take over.
Now visitors go on safari's there to see the rare wildlife including threatened bat species, turtle doves, woodpeckers and nightingales, rare butterflies, longhorn cattle and Exmoor ponies. They think it better than seeing fields of wheat.

56% of our surviving UK species are in decline, and 15% are at real risk of extinction.

However, I think there is also sensible arguments 'Against' introducing certain animals too.

Some say, and quite rightly IMO, that it could take one really bad winter for these animals to turn up in our gardens looking for food scraps. This would cause a real risk to our own pets as well as ourselves.
Wolves would probably attack livestock and poultry too, especially at lambing.

Also, if farmers turned their fields over to wildnerness, where would all our food be grown?

So I am in two minds about this.
I would like to help nature, we have ruined so much of it, but don't fancy meeting a Bear when out with my dogs.

What do you think?
I think there I a joke here about running away with a bear behind but,
I decided last year to rewild my veg plots, instead of vegetables all my plots will be producing wild flowers and grasses this year ...not quite as dangerous as bears and wolves

Like you I am in two minds about this, maybe this island is now too crowded to support wild animals like wolves, bears etc. I think we should just stick to rabbits. who can be quite ferocious when angry.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I think there I a joke here about running away with a bear behind but,
I decided last year to rewild my veg plots, instead of vegetables all my plots will be producing wild flowers and grasses this year ...not quite as dangerous as bears and wolves

Like you I am in two minds about this, maybe this island is now too crowded to support wild animals like wolves, bears etc. I think we should just stick to rabbits. who can be quite ferocious when angry.

That is true Rehab. I wouldn't want to fall out with this one, for a start!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top