Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Taking benefits from poorly people

My best friend is a very poorly lady.
She has emphysema, crohns disease and thyroid disease with lots of other health issues going on.

He emphysema is particularly bad now and he lung function is very poor. He bowel bleeds and her crohns is debilitating and she is unable to leave the house on morning or until she is sure he bowel has settled.

My dear friend is genuinely too ill to work as when her crohns and emphysema are bad (which is a lot) it floors her.

She doesn't claim PIP which I think she should be entitled to but she claimed a disability component of benefit.
They recently took it from her and she had to appeal and go through all the rigmorole of trying to get it back but today they have informed her they have turned her down.

I'm so upset for her, she barely has anything to live on and she's 61 years old. If she could work she would, my friend does everything she possibly can to help herself healthwise, she swims and walks a lot to try strengthen her lungs, even though she struggles to breath, she eats a very bland diet to try to help her crohns as if she doesn't she gets horrible flare ups. Her thyroid plays havoc with her wellbeing at times and she does all the reading she can to educate herself on her illnesses and does all she can to help herself.

This government is vile, they are taking from the poorly, sick and dying and I'm disgusted. I really don't know how she is going to manage, I'm heartbroken for her.

I've told her to appeal again but I think she is so weak, poorly and despondent I'm not sure if she has the strength.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this as I know no one can help but I just felt like I wanted to bash my keyboard to take out my frustrations on this evil government.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:50 PM

Re: Taking benefits from poorly people

PIP is paid not for diagnosis , but on rather how your illness impacts on your life

For someone who is admitting they are out there swimming and walking, PIP is never going to be paid, simple as

Im not heartless, Im just pointing out how the rules work

Whilst she maintains a diet to control her crohns for example she cant claim on the descriptors

Your friend needs help with filling in the forms, a CAB appointment will help her
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
PIP is paid not for diagnosis , but on rather how your illness impacts on your life

For someone who is admitting they are out there swimming and walking, PIP is never going to be paid, simple as

Im not heartless, Im just pointing out how the rules work

Whilst she maintains a diet to control her crohns for example she cant claim on the descriptors

Your friend needs help with filling in the forms, a CAB appointment will help her
She has never claimed PIP Missy
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 10:11 PM

I'm sorry about your friend LQ. It's ridiculous how they expect us to work in our 60s when not so long ago women could retire at 60. How are you supposed to get a job when you are getting old and sick? No employer will take you on when there are lots of young healthy people around.

It's ridiculous that people should have to struggle in this way when so much money is wasted by the state on vanity projects like the Garden bridge and HS2. Or people paid £2k a day to swan around as "consultants".

I hope you friend gets the help she needs. It's like Missy said a case of getting some advice on how to fill in the forms so that she gets the maximum benefits. Has she had her mental health assessed? Perhaps she should get a depression diagnosis from the doctor.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 10:14 PM

I am not sure what you mean if not PIP what is meant by the disability component of a benefit . Which benefit ?
If she cannot work what benefit is she receiving at present ?

I don't know where your friend lives but most large towns will have a Welfare Rights place ,you could find that out by asking at your library .Some experienced officers in appealing refusal of benefits will help with the process , outlining the major disagreement points for appraisal and sometimes accompany the claimant to the tribunal which sounds scary but isn't .

You don't say which department turned your friend down . Was it when she asked for a DWP Mandatory Reconsideration ?

I know your friend won't feel up to it but she must try this step rather than give up.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm sorry about your friend LQ. It's ridiculous how they expect us to work in our 60s when not so long ago women could retire at 60. How are you supposed to get a job when you are getting old and sick? No employer will take you on when there are lots of young healthy people around.

It's ridiculous that people should have to struggle in this way when so much money is wasted by the state on vanity projects like the Garden bridge and HS2. Or people paid £2k a day to swan around as "consultants".

I hope you friend gets the help she needs. It's like Missy said a case of getting some advice on how to fill in the forms so that she gets the maximum benefits. Has she had her mental health assessed? Perhaps she should get a depression diagnosis from the doctor.
No, she struggles on and tries not to give up but I see her becoming quite depressed lately but she would probably not admit it. She also had a letter to say she cannot send in anymore sick notes either. I feel so helpless and really upset for her
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I am not sure what you mean if not PIP what is meant by the disability component of a benefit . Which benefit ?
If she cannot work what benefit is she receiving at present ?

I don't know where your friend lives but most large towns will have a Welfare Rights place ,you could find that out by asking at your library .Some experienced officers in appealing refusal of benefits will help with the process , outlining the major disagreement points for appraisal and sometimes accompany the claimant to the tribunal which sounds scary but isn't .

You don't say which department turned your friend down . Was it when she asked for a DWP Mandatory Reconsideration ?

I know your friend won't feel up to it but she must try this step rather than give up.
I'm not sure myself as I don't know much about benefits but it could be esa or disability living allowance? I'm sorry Zu, I'm not sure as I don't like to as her what she claims, I just know she was recieving something that they took from her and she was fighting for it back but today they told her no and she cannot even send in a sick note, the doctor had given her sick notes because she felt she needed them and she knows my friend tries her best.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 10:45 PM

I feel very sorry for her, and can empathise. My son has just had his benefit stopped.
'Maximus 'tick boxes, probably find the Assessors are being paid for every one they knock back.
I now have the problem of keeping two of us on a single pension.
His benefit was only ESA (employment support allowance) as he would not apply for anything else, but he has mental health diagnosis of schizophrenia, and I know he is unfit to work alongside others. It would clearly be putting others at risk.
So who is to blame if he has an outburst ?
My son won't challenge the decision because that is part of his illness. Stress and anxiety crucify him. Would you believe he used to care on his own for 10 (ten)paranoid schizophrenics in one house for 12 hours a night. It eventually sent him over the edge.

Maximus do not ask about medical records, and make their assumption on the day. As we know all people have good days and bad days and anyone who is ill will try to put their best foot forward, which in these cases, is not beneficial to them.
The costs of all the tribunals and admin staff (prob on £25,000 per annum) will surely be enormous.

There have been cases of people in the last stages of cancer having their benefits stopped. One man died before he was able to appeal and there are many .
It would seem that nobody is allowed to be ill any longer, and this is cruelty and Amber Rudd should be confronted instead of bragging about how many people they have got back into work. They are picking on the wrong ones now.
Very sorry for your friend maybe her doctor could help and release her medical records but she must be beside herself.

Circus Maximus certainly lives up to it's name , throwing all to the lions !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
No, she struggles on and tries not to give up but I see her becoming quite depressed lately but she would probably not admit it. She also had a letter to say she cannot send in anymore sick notes either. I feel so helpless and really upset for her
It's ironic that if you walk in and say you are suicidal they will sit up and listen, but if you say you are starving it doesn't have the same effect
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-02-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I feel very sorry for her, and can empathise. My son has just had his benefit stopped.
'Maximus 'tick boxes, probably find the Assessors are being paid for every one they knock back.
I now have the problem of keeping two of us on a single pension.
His benefit was only ESA (employment support allowance) as he would not apply for anything else, but he has mental health diagnosis of schizophrenia, and I know he is unfit to work alongside others. It would clearly be putting others at risk.
So who is to blame if he has an outburst ?
My son won't challenge the decision because that is part of his illness. Stress and anxiety crucify him. Would you believe he used to care on his own for 10 (ten)paranoid schizophrenics in one house for 12 hours a night. It eventually sent him over the edge.

Maximus do not ask about medical records, and make their assumption on the day. As we know all people have good days and bad days and anyone who is ill will try to put their best foot forward, which in these cases, is not beneficial to them.
The costs of all the tribunals and admin staff (prob on £25,000 per annum) will surely be enormous.

There have been cases of people in the last stages of cancer having their benefits stopped. One man died before he was able to appeal and there are many .
It would seem that nobody is allowed to be ill any longer, and this is cruelty and Amber Rudd should be confronted instead of bragging about how many people they have got back into work. They are picking on the wrong ones now.
Very sorry for your friend maybe her doctor could help and release her medical records but she must be beside herself.
That's awful PD. What is this country coming to if it cannot help the most helpless? Your son is lucky to have you. So many have nobody.

If they want people to work then they should force employers take a quota of the mentally and physically ill and to make allowances for their conditions. That's the only way they will make it work. If people with medical conditions are given the opportunity to work with full support then most would choose to work. But there is no process for this just as with most things. It's not like those with such debilitating conditions are as resourceful as the rest of us.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top