Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Re: How cruel!

I had no joy so far Mupsy.
Trying to get through to the RSPCA!
I will not give up, I was so upset yesterday, I couldn't do the thread.
But I wanted to raise awareness on this issue.
I know the photos are not good, but shows that the poor thing could not even turn around!
It was so hot in the shop also.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 01:51 PM

As I said, make sure that shop is abiding by the law for these animals.
Ask where it came from and it is certificated.

Send a friend in pretending to be interested in buying - ask the right questions.
If you don't know what they should be providing, they can tie you up in knots with answers and you won't know.

This might help.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/uktorts.html
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Some reptile shops keep snakes and tatatulas in tiny sandwich sized plastic boxes it's horrible. I only visited two and complained. They take no notice.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 02:41 PM

Ok after quite a few phone calls, this was the result.
I first phone what I thought was the RSPCA, in fact, I had phoned the local animal rescue centre, who would be able to take the poor tortoise, and they gave me the correct number to call. After waiting for more than half an hour I got through, only to be told that they only deal with domestic cruelty, so I was told to phone my local council and ask for trading standards.
So another 20 minutes on the phone, eventually I was told that I needed to speak to Animal welfare at the council, they transferred me.
So today, the inspectors will go to the shop and see for themselves.
I got there in the end.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I first phone what I thought was the RSPCA, in fact, I had phoned the local animal rescue centre, who would be able to take the poor tortoise, and they gave me the correct number to call. After waiting for more than half an hour I got through, only to be told that they only deal with domestic cruelty, so I was told to phone my local council and ask for trading standards.
So another 20 minutes on the phone, eventually I was told that I needed to speak to Animal welfare at the council, they transferred me.
I got there in the end.
Well done. Hopefully you will receive a letter letting you know the outcome.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I got there in the end.

Well done for sticking at it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 05:24 PM

Proud of you Sweetie!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Oh I can imagine how that upset you. I m glad to hear you reported them that poor tortoise was obviously distressed banging its head like that, how horribly cruel. I hope they remove the animal and that shop owner gets prosecuted. ,Hugs for you sweets, you did a good thing xxx
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

01-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well done for sticking at it.
I was determined to end the poor things misery.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Proud of you Sweetie!
Thanks you would have done the same.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh I can imagine how that upset you. I m glad to hear you reported them that poor tortoise was obviously distressed banging its head like that, how horribly cruel. I hope they remove the animal and that shop owner gets prosecuted. ,Hugs for you sweets, you did a good thing xxx
Thank-you I hope I can go and visit at the animal sanctuary, and post a happy tortoise pic. x
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 10:47 PM

Good that someone will investigate. Well done.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top