Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 10:27 AM

I found this on YouTube

I watch lots of things on YouTube especially for the past couple of weeks while I havent been feeling well and stuck on the sofa.
Sometimes something catches my attention and I end up watching more related videos of the same subject. Sometimes its attractive young women wearing very tight yoga pants wiggling their bottoms about while dancing or attractive young women wearing those very sexy revealing Cosplay costumes, again while dancing around.

Ive got a video here that caught my attention last week. I have watched a few now on the same theme.

Apologies to the guys who were hoping it was about dancing young women but its actually about people who go out magnet fishing usually around bridges on canals. Obviously they have magnets of varying strengths and sizes tied to ropes which they cast into the water hoping to find anything of interest or value.
Apparently they find all sorts of thing just thrown into the canal either as people dont know how to get rid of it, havent these people heard of recycling centres or scrapyards, or sometimes to conceal things from the police etc. Guns ammunition and knives seem to be in abundance.

I just found it so interesting the things they find. Most of it seems to be scrap which they take off to the scrapyard also taking with them things left on the towpath by bad magnet fishers who dont clean up after themselves. Ive even seen video of some of these guys collecting litter off the towpath doing their bit for the environment. Whole families including mums, grandmas and children seem to enjoy this hobby.
I was worried about them getting infections from things that have been lying in a dirty canal for months but saw that most seem to wear gloves.
I was so interested I left a comment on one of these videos asking when they get together to have one of their magnet fishing competitions asking if it was possible to go along as a spectator and was told I would be welcome. Are there any people on here involved in this interesting and environmentally
friendly hobby.
I believe the rivers and canal authorities dont actually approve of this though. Heath and Safety.

This video is a particularly nice family who go magnet fishing together.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Re: I found this on YouTube

What a happy group.of people....those magnets must be very strong...an interesting video thanks for posting
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Never heard of that before, MC, thank you for posting the video.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 12:01 PM

'Shudders' >> eek

I wouldn't want to go fishing around in a canal, there is no telling what you might find including a dead body....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 12:46 PM

do all the canals have dirty water?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 12:53 PM

It's surprising how much is thrown into the canals

Those knives could well be incriminating evidence to some crime

Interesting video to watch though, wondering what will come up next.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:07 PM

I have seen several you tube films on this and some of the things that are thrown into canals and rivers is unbelievable. Guns, ammunition, safes with documents still inside (Obviously the fruits of a robbery) Road signs, Parking companies wheel clamps, and even a hand grenade in one instant.
An interesting hobby nontheless.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top