Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Re: Questions for you seasoned Cruisers..

Another question
As most ships seem to sail from Southampton..

Do hotels there get difficult to book beforehand?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Rhian

Let me tell you I was the most ANTI cruise person you could wish to meet. No way would I have considered even going on a paddle boat on a pond.

However I had the chance to go up the River Nile ( well the shore was close by incase!!!!). Let me tell you I was hooked god and proper.

having done the med a couple of times -the baltic and caribbean cruises and very soon a one around Japan, even booked a river cruise for 2020.

The first thing before leaving port you will have to attend a life boat safety instruction, but that is the only thing that is compulsory.

those shore trips are well worth doing they lay on, here is one from the Caribbean. You may have to book as soon as possible, don't wait until you get on board they may be sold out

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Does every cruise ship have an all-inclusive buffet area then?

I suppose I can just phone and ask can't I?!!!
Short answer YES they do have them
Can't answer about hotels as we drive and park some included in the cruise deal.

Like everything else booking early is advisable
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-03-2019, 06:12 PM

Watch out for the 'staff tip rip-off' Rhian, which I understand you can get out of by visiting the bursar. Tips can be as much as £5 per person per day - something that has always put me off tbh.

Rubbish you don't have to give any gratuities that is up to you, if you want give before you go and it is a fixed amount stated on the cruise terms. NO WAY do you give any other tips , even to those giving the port tours unless you want to
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Watch out for the 'staff tip rip-off' Rhian, which I understand you can get out of by visiting the bursar. Tips can be as much as £5 per person per day - something that has always put me off tbh.

Rubbish you don't have to give any gratuities that is up to you, if you want give before you go and it is a fixed amount stated on the cruise terms. NO WAY do you give any other tips , even to those giving the port tours unless you want to
Fair enough.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Rhian

Let me tell you I was the most ANTI cruise person you could wish to meet. No way would I have considered even going on a paddle boat on a pond.

However I had the chance to go up the River Nile ( well the shore was close by incase!!!!). Let me tell you I was hooked good and proper.
So what is it that hooked you the most?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Rhian

I think you may have left it too late to book for August , we normally book at least a year in advance or as soon as the cruise is released.
Cruising is now one of the most popular holidays because comparing with a fixed resort holiday, it averages out a lot cheaper when you consider what you get for it.

You would now ,I guess, have to find out what is left available
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Hi Rhian

It really matters which cruise line you book... if you go with Celebrity always book Aqua Class if you are going with P&O the first thing to do when you board the ship is straight up to the spa and book retreat for the whole of your holiday... it will cost you a bit more but truly its really really worth it.

I have only ever travelled once without a balcony but I will never do it again in my opinion a balcony is a must....

Cruise lines are all different ... I think you would like Celebrity its a bit of a younger clientele ...Princess is ok but I would not book with them again ... if you want something special go for the Azamara line .... I love their ships they are a bit smaller and all drinks and tips are included as well as a trip or two in the price which makes a big difference so make sure you factor that in when looking at the price because drinks can be expensive on board.

On the ships I have mentioned all food is included thats in the buffet and the allocated restaurant..... but if you wish for a small additional charge you can go the speciality restaurants... and for special nights they are worth it.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

17-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Rhian

I think you may have left it too late to book for August , we normally book at least a year in advance or as soon as the cruise is released.
Cruising is now one of the most popular holidays because comparing with a fixed resort holiday, it averages out a lot cheaper when you consider what you get for it.

You would now ,I guess, have to find out what is left available
I have checked..
At the moment there seems to be plenty left
Prices do seem to vary a LOT though
But I won't leave it too long either
Thank you
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
So what is it that hooked you the most?
Apart from the adventure of doing something for the first time, realising a different way of living in the countries one visits.

The shore trips in Egypt were amazing, seeing places only seen before on TV. ONly about 35 people on board a boat for 125

one huge laugh on board with a great fun loving people, listen to the laughter
Nubian guy pulling out guests for a dance??
The first guy was horse from shouting at other from a camel the day before. Not a typical cruise you are looking at

Well you did ask,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top