Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Re: Football Disappointment!

Nice one John! must admit that old Avram does always look as though he has lost a Tenner and found a penny
Liverpool really did demolish Fulham at the cottage last night, they seem to be getting better and better, will be interesting when they meet Spurs and Villa to complete their league programme.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2011, 10:31 PM

No disappointment for me yesterday....Man Utd. won!!!! Just need one point now, but am sure its in the bag now.....well done the Reds!
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Entirely agree Merz, it's got to be United's title, congratulations to them for a brilliant run in to the end of the season.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

12-05-2011, 06:03 PM

I suppose folks will say that as a lifelong supporter of my club I will be well used to the thread title of 'Disappointment'.
For the last few years Premiership survival was seen by many of us and yes, good reader, we number more than one or two, as a major success.

Whenever I get depressed and weary from all the adulation afforded the great and the good of the league I console myself with a rerun of our greatest successes over the last 60 years or so.

Sadly, five minutes later I have gone back to the White Horse Final and am still in a state of abject misery.

There is only one course of action to remedy the malady and watching this guy as we used to in the flesh is it.

I will of course conveniently forget that we misguided lesser mortals of the 'chicken run' had the temerity to give him a hard time, but only now and again.

Robert Frederick Chelsea (Bobby) Moore
Or just 'Mooro'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUYDg3Zwtw
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

12-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks for that Hammer, took me back to the days when football was a sport played by true sportsmen. I never imagined as I sat watching that world cup final that it would be the only time that England would triumph in that competition, pure nostalgia!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

13-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Glad you liked it Bob, obviously a different time back then with different rules, most unwritten but I wish we still had some of them today.

The world cup finals you speak of was no exception although Pele might argue about some of the 'robust' treatment he got from the Bulgarian and Portuguese defence to name but a few.

It was though the only series I have seen when losing did not enter our thoughts for one second.

The 'feel good' factor was with us before it got invented much later on.
This spilled out during the final match itself and friendships forged with a couple of the German 'enemy' endured until the reaper swished his scythe a few times of recent times.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

14-05-2011, 09:41 PM

How times change Hammer! Not always for the better either.
Did you have a gander at the FA Cup final today? Not a classic by any means but quite feisty in parts and one could say that the favourites won I suppose. Will this signal the start of a revival of fortunes in the blue half of the city of Manchester or was the shine taken off City's cup win by United eclipsing Liverpool's record of title wins? I guess there will be plenty of jostling for bragging rights in the North West next season and we still have another Wembley "showpiece" to come when United go up against Barcelona soon.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Just got to say congratulations to Man U, even though they were held to a draw by Blackburn. Watched second half of Cup Final and think Man.City deserved to win. Will be watching out for Liverpool next season, feel they are going to do well now that Kenny has taken over......
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-05-2011, 10:26 PM

I did watch the match Bob and agree it was not one of the best I have seen.

I think City were in control for most of the game and really should have closed the game out before the second half.

As you say it was a bit tasty in parts. I saw Matthew Upsons old sparring partner, Robert Huth waving his arms about once or twice. The one against Balotelli maybe could have earned an early bath.

There again, should Yaya Toure have been still on the pitch to score the winner after that tackle on Wilkinson.

I think final day should be just for that. It has a strange air to it like this.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

15-05-2011, 02:30 PM

I fully agree but there again, I suppose we will be informed that this is progress! . I still prefer the days when the last game of the season was the FA Cup Final and no other games took place as distractions, creating that "special" atmosphere nationally. But as I said, that's progress!
Of course I am biased but do agree with you Merz about Liverpool and the Kenny Dalglish revival, long may it prosper.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top