Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 03:35 PM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

"negativity" . . . ?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 03:41 PM

I thought that realist was simple pointing out a general rule of good debating/arguing not health per se - that is if anyone but in this case twinkletoes keeps expressing personal opinions then that is not a particularly accurate style of debating/arguing - right realist?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 03:43 PM

Oh no it won't!

Just had to say that, sorry!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Realist, if you view the Home page you will find we have a specific forum for debating and discussions where you can start a debate/discussion on any topic yourself.
Yep noted, though it's very clear that, because the forum is neatly set out into many individual sections on different topics, people are much happier holding their debates and discussions in the section relevant to their topic rather than in a "one bucket" section entitled "Other Discussions".

If I look at the Discussion Guidelines "sticky" in the Announcement section it also confirms this saying

"we frequently give serious and controversial topics a good airing! Usually these take place in the Discussions forum, though they can sometimes be found in other sections too. These are the topics about which people often hold very passionate and diametrically opposed views. On the internet, that can sometimes be a recipe for disaster! So to help keep things civil and good-natured, we have drawn up a series of guidelines which we expect all participants of serious topics to abide by."

Interesting those guidelines talk about people not insulting/abusing other posters and encouraging people to support their views with facts, which of course I always do and the very trait which leaves others frustrated because they can't refute those facts.

Latterly I have been berated repeatedly by the same tiny collective of frustrated posters who find it difficult to cope with factual debate. I've been insulted, called a "liar" and accused of misleading people all of which is untrue.

It would seem that your efforts are perhaps needed more towards dealing with those posters rather than myself.

Many of the General Health threads are from members who are unfortunately suffering from an illness or complaint and are there looking for encouragement and support from our good members.
This much is obvious and I for one have GENUINE concern for such members which is why I expend all the time and copious amounts of effort to research the facts and provide those people with some suggestions as to how to improve their lot and alleviate some of their sufferings.

They do not need a lot of negativity 'thrown' at them .....
God I am not, so there's not much I can do about the current wicked, evil and wholly negative state of the world. The facts are the facts whether positive or negative or otherwise.

Those who are suffering can only benefit from having more information at their fingertips. It allows them to make more informed decisions.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 12:05 AM

hoisted on her own petard comes to mind?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 12:35 AM

So Gummy ... does this prove or disapprove your theory ..

How arguing more can make you smarter.

Are you and Realist smart then? Or do you need to argue more?

Psst ... I'm not arguing here, I'm just asking cos I'm already smart.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-09-2018, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
So Gummy ... does this prove or disapprove your theory ..

How arguing more can make you smarter.

Are you and Realist smart then? Or do you need to argue more?

Psst ... I'm not arguing here, I'm just asking cos I'm already smart.
first off it's NOT my theory - refer to original doco OK?

'smart' ah there's a tricky one - please define your definition or the general run of the mill defo of smart? I think most days I switch between arguing and debating BUT cannot speak for Realist - you must allow him the opportunity to speak for himself - not try to lead us into a collaborative relationship that may not exist?

I think I am still smarter than you heh??
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Gummy everyone is smarter than me so I'm not sure you're paying yourself much of a compliment
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Gummy everyone is smarter than me so I'm not sure you're paying yourself much of a compliment
I doubt that very much Mortsta.

Gumbot argues with himself as well so I don't know how that works out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
not well said at all - did any of your flouncies bother to read the article from beginning to end or just brows around in your usually lazy manner - the article and research associated is not talking about debating but arguing - there is a difference if you haven't notice - annies is trying to dress up a flake to look like a flounder!!

these are quotes from the article - this is all about robust argument which is healthier than just debating - but if the ladies wish to simple debate who am I to disturb them?
Hey you rained on my parade!

Constructive debate is healthy and can be educational. Challenging thinking is what the article is about but it uses the language of conflict. Conflict is only positive where ego is put aside. But then if you put aside ego do you have any conflict left?

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top