Join for free
Page 6 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Re: Smoking free county

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Okay, at the risk of being lynched on here.
As an ex-smoker, maybe my thinking is outdated, but I truly believe that there should be less of a patronising attitude by non-smokers towards smokers. As someone said, smoking is not illegal, so no-one has the right to say it shouldn't be allowed.

I think a lot has been achieved to eradicate the danger from passive smoking such as banning it in every public building and children's outdoor spaces. Even beaches. That is a good thing. Even smokers don't mind and accept that it is the law and must be obeyed (granted, they don't like standing outside in all weathers to have their smoke).but remember, even smokers want to protect children or not have smoke blown at them while they are eating a meal in a restaurant.

But to stigmatize a smoker as someone not fit to walk this earth as comments have always done whenever this topic comes up, is frankly rude and unkind to law-abiding, respectful people who happen to smoke.
Most of them follow the rules and are respectful in their smoking habit towards non-smokers. They have been left with only the fresh air outside to smoke, and smoke they do. If it is the misfortune that non-smokers happen to be in the vicinity of that smoker, Tough, smokers have learned to live with all the anti-smoking laws so maybe it is time for non-smokers to learn to be more tolerant and respectful in their attitude towards smokers. If it is their misfortune to come across a smoker, instead of the glaring look of disapproval (which you have absolutely no right to give) why don't you try using a bit of decorum, and just walk away and leave them alone to enjoy their cigarette.
Regardless of how you feel about smoking and smokers, stop treating them like lepers.

I don't have anyone smoking in my home. That is my personal choice, but I would never stop them smoking on the deck or in the garden, (I always provide ashtrays),and I happily join them out there. I would never dream of treating them as a them and us. Totally unacceptable. They are famiy, friends, neighbours. Why on earth would I make them ever feel uncomfortabe and unaccepted in my world.

Besides, most people will be priced out of buying cigarettes soon anyway. I was shocked to learn that a packet of 20 Silk Cut (which I used to smoke up to 6 years ago) now costs over £11.00 a packet!! Unbelievable.
Thank you, SG, for your support in my continued liking of the dreaded tobacco; the consumption of which we've got down to 10 fags/WEEK each. (The savings we've made since we cut down from around 10-15/day each have paid for a new CH boiler (6 months) and several very nice holidays, thank you.) BTW, a pack of 20 B&H costs ~£12.75 locally.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 07:16 PM

SM, Just to let you know I wasn't referring to today's thread when I said people treated smokers with disdain and disgust.
I was referring to many the many previous threads whereby posters were really unkind when discussing smokers instead of the habit of smokers. Apologies if you thought otherwise.

Percy - You're welcome. Dear Lord, is that the price of a packet of Benson and Hedges nowadays? No doubt most of that is tax.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Okay, at the risk of being lynched on here.
As an ex-smoker, maybe my thinking is outdated, but I truly believe that there should be less of a patronising attitude by non-smokers towards smokers. As someone said, smoking is not illegal, so no-one has the right to say it shouldn't be allowed.

I think a lot has been achieved to eradicate the danger from passive smoking such as banning it in every public building and children's outdoor spaces. Even beaches. That is a good thing. Even smokers don't mind and accept that it is the law and must be obeyed (granted, they don't like standing outside in all weathers to have their smoke).but remember, even smokers want to protect children or not have smoke blown at them while they are eating a meal in a restaurant.

But to stigmatize a smoker as someone not fit to walk this earth as comments have always done whenever this topic comes up, is frankly rude and unkind to law-abiding, respectful people who happen to smoke.
Most of them follow the rules and are respectful in their smoking habit towards non-smokers. They have been left with only the fresh air outside to smoke, and smoke they do. If it is the misfortune that non-smokers happen to be in the vicinity of that smoker, Tough, smokers have learned to live with all the anti-smoking laws so maybe it is time for non-smokers to learn to be more tolerant and respectful in their attitude towards smokers. If it is their misfortune to come across a smoker, instead of the glaring look of disapproval (which you have absolutely no right to give) why don't you try using a bit of decorum, and just walk away and leave them alone to enjoy their cigarette.
Regardless of how you feel about smoking and smokers, stop treating them like lepers.

I don't have anyone smoking in my home. That is my personal choice, but I would never stop them smoking on the deck or in the garden, (I always provide ashtrays),and I happily join them out there. I would never dream of treating them as a them and us. Totally unacceptable. They are famiy, friends, neighbours. Why on earth would I make them ever feel uncomfortabe and unaccepted in my world.

Besides, most people will be priced out of buying cigarettes soon anyway. I was shocked to learn that a packet of 20 Silk Cut (which I used to smoke up to 6 years ago) now costs over £11.00 a packet!! Unbelievable.
You'll not be lynched by me Shropshiregirl.
What an exceptional post. I smoked for thirty five years before I had a heart attack in 2004, after which I never touched a fag again, and to be honest, I never even missed them. Whether the heart attack was caused by smoking we will never know, but I'm glad I stopped when I did....Every Cloud....

Not every respiratory illness is caused by passive smoking but the hand wringing holier than thou brigade would have you believe that's the case. A wiff of smoke carried on the wind may send some people nauseous but in my opinion is relatively harmless, far less harmless than breathing in exhaust fumes and recirculated air from air conditioning units. Most of the aggression towards smokers is a knee jerk reaction instigated by the media and perpetuated by the professional complainers and easily offended brigade.

My Mum worked for 45 years as a bus conductor on smoke filled buses, never smoked a fag in her life, and died at the age of 86 from something totally unrelated to smoking. I don't smoke anymore and am glad to see that less young people are taking on the habit, I used to hate having to carry my life support around in my pocket (fags and lighter) especially on holiday when wearing budgie smugglers and there is nowhere to carry them.... Now it's just spectacles I have to carry......
So next time you see a smoker trying to light their fag in a howling gale, go up and give them a hug and a smile, and help to shelter them from the wind......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If 54,804 smoke 20 Bensons a day @ £11.70 a pack, the annual tax revenue would be £191,868.804, minus the £121.7m costs = a surplus of £70,168.804.
That would nearly build a Hospital.
That'll take the breath away from those hand wringing holier than thou tobacco free trouble causers Spitty.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:59 PM

It’s not a case of being holier than thou. OGF .
Many people myself included are badly effected by the smell of cigarette smoke .
As a child travelling on smoke filled buses and trains made me travel sick it was a daily torment .
Ditto going to the cinema or in any enclosed spaces .
As a young mother although I always tried to go into smoke free areas it was impossible with young children as smokers are in the main incredibly selfish and have no trouble invading the non smoking areas.

If asked to refrain they take offence as if you have committed a major impertinence or want to steal their virtue .

No smokers of the world have had a good run at making other people uncomfortable with their stinking cancer sticks .( which they inevitably hold so the smoke blows on someone else .)

They have ruined meals at restaurants days at the beach travelling by almost any mode put none smokers and children into dangerous health damaging situations .

So they can all get stuffed !
And as for young people who smoke they should be ashamed considering all the money that has been spent educating the dumbos that SMOKING KILLS .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-02-2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s not a case of being holier than thou. OGF .
Many people myself included are badly effected by the smell of cigarette smoke .
As a child travelling on smoke filled buses and trains made me travel sick it was a daily torment .
Ditto going to the cinema or in any enclosed spaces .
As a young mother although I always tried to go into smoke free areas it was impossible with young children as smokers are in the main incredibly selfish and have no trouble invading the non smoking areas.

If asked to refrain they take offence as if you have committed a major impertinence or want to steal their virtue .

No smokers of the world have had a good run at making other people uncomfortable with their stinking cancer sticks .( which they inevitably hold so the smoke blows on someone else .)

They have ruined meals at restaurants days at the beach travelling by almost any mode put none smokers and children into dangerous health damaging situations .

So they can all get stuffed !
And as for young people who smoke they should be ashamed considering all the money that has been spent educating the dumbos that SMOKING KILLS .
Where did I say it was alright for smokers to to smoke in confined spaces, buses,trains and the cinema Muddy...?

I must admit, since I myself became a non smoker I have never been inconvenienced or witnessed a rude or selfish smoker.....I feel sorry for them sometimes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:23 PM

Because the tide of public opinion has changed against them otherwise they would be puffing inconsiderably everywhere as they once did .
It’s such a relief to go out or travel on any mode of transport without worrying that the person nect to you will light up and poor stinking smoke all over you and your young children .
As for calling none smokers holier than thou as if not being tolerant to a life threatening habit is somehow priggish and uptight or not cool - that thinking is so DATED .
How would smokers like to be called stupider than thou ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-02-2020, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Because the tide of public opinion has changed against them otherwise they would be puffing inconsiderably everywhere as they once did .
It’s such a relief to go out or travel on any mode without worrying that the person nect to you will light up and poor stinking smoke all over you and your young children .
As for calling none smoker holier than thou as if not being tolerant to a life threatening habit is somehow priggish and uptight or not cool - that thinking is so DATED .
How would smokers like to be called stupider than thou ?
Only the easily offended Muddy, most non smokers are quite tolerant.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2020, 10:29 PM

No they are not .
Most non smokers are passionate about it .
Younger people maybe because they have never known what it was like to have no recourse against the stinking weed .
To be treated as the pariah made to sit outside in the cold while the smokers enjoyed the warmth inside a pub for example .
So when I see smokers cowering outside in all weathers just to get a drag I do feel sorry for them .
They are truly pathetic.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Corona is probably more of a risk, and I ain't having a pop.

Page 6 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top