Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Re: Blood Group

I think mine is type "W"

Click image for larger version

Name:	wainwrights.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1410

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am the most common O positive, and many years ago, when I needed a blood transfusion, I was really glad I was, because rarer blood groups were not always available.
I understand that there is one group you can give to anybody (might be O neg but not sure)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I understand that there is one group you can give to anybody (might be O neg but not sure)
I think you are right but only about 6% of the population have O negative blood, so supplies are low.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 01:25 PM

B rhesus negative.
Frustrated coz 48 donations was the end - diabetes!!
Gave blood to the army in Aldershot for years (have a their vampire badge to prove it), then to the national scheme here in the Wight.

The army unit was the best, double rations and good camaraderie compared with the national lot.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=Dobra;953573]B rhesus negative.
Frustrated coz 48 donations was the end - diabetes!!
Gave blood to the army in Aldershot for years (have a their vampire badge to prove it), then to the national scheme here in the Wight.

The army unit was the best, double rations and good camaraderie compared with the national lot.[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that matey, British Rail used to employ their staff restaurant (out of hours) for blood collections. If your timing was good and you went just before lunch, you were able to donate, go to lunch and add a drink (the restaurant was licenced) all at the same time and in the same place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 12:32 AM

There is a certain irony in this conversation because virtually none of you would be allowed to give blood donations in Australia (or Canada, New Zealand and Singapore) anyway.

Nobody who was in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for 6 months or more can donate blood in this country.

http://www.donateblood.com.au/faq/vcjd
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 12:35 AM

There is a certain irony in this conversation because virtually none of you would be allowed to give blood donations in Australia anyway.

Nobody who was in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for 6 months or more can donate blood in this country.

http://www.donateblood.com.au/faq/vcjd
Good point. There are a few mad cows on here.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 02:39 AM

Blood type, no idea. Once asked diabetic nurse if i could donate and was told she did not know. Checked and have been told yes by some. no by others.

Im with Hancock on being a blood doner.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Blood group B means you have the B antigen, while group O has neither, and group AB has both A and B antigens. group O has neither A nor B antigens on the surface of their red cells so red cells of this group can be given to any other group, this is why group O donors were known as 'universal red cell donors'
However.....it's now known that even type O negative blood may have antibodies that cause serious reactions during a transfusion.

In an emergency, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone, especially if the situation is life threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply.

Blood transfusions in general carry some risk of complications.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 07:59 AM

There is a certain irony
I thought a certain amount of iron in the blood was a good thing. Some people take tablets for it.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top