Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Have you ever.............

Have you ever walked from one room to another intent on getting something, only to reach the room and forget what it is you were going to get????

I set off 10 minutes ago from the kitchen to the utility room (a mere twenty steps away) to get some frozen peas from the freezer. When I reached the freezer I just stood there thinking. "What was it I wanted?" It's ridiculous!
It wasn't until I started to walk back to the kitchen that I suddenly remembered what it was I wanted.

Is it old age? I never used to be so forgetful.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Re: Have you ever.............

Starting to do it a bit
But my most soulcrushing was when I was walking back from the shops once and realised I hadn't got my bag of shopping in my hand. Cue .. a quick gallop back to all the shops I'd been in.
Good news was I luckily found it still sitting in the pet shop where I'd left it.
Bad news is .. that was in my forties. Could have been my thirties ... not sure now. The future looks rosy doesn't it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Oh I'm always doing it! I forget, mere seconds after thinking of whatever it is I want to do.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:01 PM

The result of having frozen peas is getting chapped legs
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:03 PM

I think everyone has moments of forgetfulness. I once went shopping and walked home carrying the shopping only to realise that I had left the car in the supermarket car park.
Its just that as we get older they may happen a little more.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:09 PM

I am not convinced that age causes this problem! Even as a teenager I would go upstairs for something, and forget what it was when I got there.
It doesn't happen often, but I always remember what I wanted if I go back to where I had been when I thought of it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:09 PM

This happens to me sometimes and it's because I get distracted by another thought. If I go back in the room I started without having done whatever I set out to do, I usually remember via visual clues. I guess it helps increase the amount of exercise you do as you get older, going up and down the stairs for things you've forgotten!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I think everyone has moments of forgetfulness. I once went shopping and walked home carrying the shopping only to realise that I had left the car in the supermarket car park.
Its just that as we get older they may happen a little more.
I have done that also MC
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 06:22 PM

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016...make-us-forget

Extract:

The Doorway Effect occurs because we change both the physical and mental environments, moving to a different room and thinking about different things. That hastily thought up goal, which was probably only one plate among the many we’re trying to spin, gets forgotten when the context changes.

Our brain organises our goals into a hierarchy of actions - but even the simple act of walking through a door may cause us to lose track of our plans

Imagine that we’re going upstairs to get our keys and forget that it is the keys we came for as soon as we enter the bedroom. Psychologically, what has happened is that the plan (“Keys!”) has been forgotten even in the middle of implementing a necessary part of the strategy (“Go to bedroom!”). Probably the plan itself is part of a larger plan (“Get ready to leave the house!”), which is part of plans on a wider and wider scale (“Go to work!”, “Keep my job!”, “Be a productive and responsible citizen”, or whatever). Each scale requires attention at some point. Somewhere in navigating this complex hierarchy the need for keys popped into mind, and like a circus performer setting plates spinning on poles, your attention focussed on it long enough to construct a plan, but then moved on to the next plate (this time, either walking to the bedroom, or wondering who left their clothes on the stairs again, or what you’re going to do when you get to work or one of a million other things that it takes to build a life).

And sometimes spinning plates fall.
Apparently .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Yes, SG, it happens to me now and then.
What puzzles me is, why does going back to where you’ve come from, remind you what you were looking for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top