Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Re: What is happening to our country with all this violent crime?

There's quite a bit lacking in the lives of people compared with previous generations where they had a solid family structure and community. Our civilisation seems to be having a nervous breakdown.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There's quite a bit lacking in the lives of people compared with previous generations where they had a solid family structure and community. Our civilisation seems to be having a nervous breakdown.
I doubt anybody could disagree with you there Annie, but nobody seems to have any idea how to create civilised life anymore.
Harsher punishments for the criminals & teaching people that they cannot expect others to provide for them would be a good start. If we don't, then everybody will find violent ways to get what they want, & surely civilisation was designed to prevent that!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 08:45 AM

One other point is that 'rehab' doesn't come into play until it's virtually too late anyway.

How many people are taking drugs on a regular daily basis in this country now ? We don't know, but I suspect it's a pretty high figure, and not only the young as the stuff has been around since my youth.
Out of all those people how many will consider themselves addicts, or how many will put themselves forward for rehab ? I think hardly any, until the point when they have come up against a brick wall..... then the help is there.
It's simply not possible to know who is likely to take violent action until after the event.

Any education has to come from an early age, but more confusing is why teachers who partake themselves should be telling children 'DON'T' and when the kids get home from school , their parents 'DO' .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 08:49 AM

I am afraid for the future generation.
This country is slowly becoming a lawless society, being run by gang bosses, drug lords, etc;
There is a cure but it will be cried down by our 'soft' politicians.
Make our prisons more Alkatraz like. Make them what they were intended for, punishment and not all this so called rehabilitation nonsense. For those committing serious crime take away all contact with the outside world. For those committing murder, Death by hanging or whatever.
What is to blame for all this lawlessness that is rife in our towns and cities and now it seems in the rural areas as well?. IMO and mine alone. Unwanted immigrants
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 08:57 AM

I've no idea of the names of the charity organisations Muddy. They fall under the broad umbrella of "youth services" which were funded by local authorities and were traditionally provided by the third sector. Since councils have had the budgets substantially squeezed they have had to make decisions to decommission what they see as unnecessary. it's not just youth services, but mental health and social care day centres that filled an important gap in the mainstream services. They patched up the cracks. Now it's all creaking at the seams.

"Since the 2011-12 financial year, cuts have removed 46 per cent of funding from London council youth services
Youth centres have closed across the city, with 104 centres and projects shutting their doors
Youth worker jobs have declined by 562. "

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...-getting-worse

"Rising knife crime could be linked to budget cuts that have decimated youth services in parts of England, according to a parliamentary report.

The average council has reduced spending on services such as social clubs and youth workers by 40 per cent, and some places have seen funding plummet by 91 per cent in three years."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8901856.html
If they were funded by the local authorities they weren’t exactly charities surely ?
At the end of the day it’s down to the parents to care for children and their up bringing not youth workers .

Of course this would be in a perfect world .
The main problem is there are too many people and like rats in a barrel people turn on each other .

Natures way of reducing the population .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 09:19 AM

That I reckon needs to be the basis of everything, unfortunately though it's now missing for many. Plenty of material possessions these days but it's the basics of life that used to be taught to us as youngsters that is needed. However, I have to say that not all youngsters will be outside of that, those who have parents who bring them up properly and also have the advantage of material possessions available today will more than likely go on to lead good and successful lives, with all that brings.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I doubt anybody could disagree with you there Annie, but nobody seems to have any idea how to create civilised life anymore.
Harsher punishments for the criminals & teaching people that they cannot expect others to provide for them would be a good start. If we don't, then everybody will find violent ways to get what they want, & surely civilisation was designed to prevent that!
I definitely agree with that. Having had a strict upbringing myself that was not just strict but also fair, taught me respect and about consequences. Those two standards on their own kept me out of trouble when otherwise, I know for fact, as an adult I would have transgressed.

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
One other point is that 'rehab' doesn't come into play until it's virtually too late anyway.

How many people are taking drugs on a regular daily basis in this country now ? We don't know, but I suspect it's a pretty high figure, and not only the young as the stuff has been around since my youth.
Out of all those people how many will consider themselves addicts, or how many will put themselves forward for rehab ? I think hardly any, until the point when they have come up against a brick wall..... then the help is there.
It's simply not possible to know who is likely to take violent action until after the event.

Any education has to come from an early age, but more confusing is why teachers who partake themselves should be telling children 'DON'T' and when the kids get home from school , their parents 'DO' .
What I see as a growing concern is that not only do we have one generation having these problems but another generation, the younger ones we now hear about, are also going the same way.

Drinking alcohol, often to excess, and taking drugs seems to be socially acceptable by many. In town centres these days Fridays and weekends we see people unable to behave themselves and often unable to stand up, most likely as a result of indulging themselves in drink or drugs, possibly both. Drinking and driving has long been a problem, now though it's reckoned drug taking and driving is catching up. Where all this ends I just don't know, it's almost overwhelming when looked at overall.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If they were funded by the local authorities they weren’t exactly charities surely ?
At the end of the day it’s down to the parents to care for children and their up bringing not youth workers .

Of course this would be in a perfect world .
The main problem is there are too many people and like rats in a barrel people turn on each other .

Natures way of reducing the population .
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head muddy. An overpopulated country with not enough funds to go round, so every establishment suffers....Schools, NHS, care in the community, penal institutions, transport, services and something for our young people to do on a night.....Couple this with the fact that we pay for education until our young people are in their twenties instead of doing apprenticeships, paying tax and putting something back into society instead of taking out....We spend too much time worrying about saving the planet, Brexit and same sex marriage and have neglected the fundamental issues in society....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head muddy. An overpopulated country with not enough funds to go round, so every establishment suffers....Schools, NHS, care in the community, penal institutions, transport, services and something for our young people to do on a night.....Couple this with the fact that we pay for education until our young people are in their twenties instead of doing apprenticeships, paying tax and putting something back into society instead of taking out....We spend too much time worrying about saving the planet, Brexit and same sex marriage and have neglected the fundamental issues in society....
Too many people worldwide OGF. However all the things you list, has an effect on many in this country, but they/we don't turn to violence.
So what difference can it be that makes some who do and others not engage in violence ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Too many people worldwide OGF. However all the things you list, has an effect on many in this country, but they/we don't turn to violence.
So what difference can it be that makes some who do and others not engage in violence ?
I strongly believe that young people with highly impressionable minds and with nothing useful to do, are influenced by what they see and hear, especially on the net.

Older people can generally resist the urge to bring fiction into fact...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Not enough fathers to go around .
No consequences of wrong doing

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top