Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Re: Ammonite

Lots of ammonites to be found at Lyme Regis and of course at Whitby,
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Lots of ammonites to be found at Lyme Regis and of course at Whitby,
I had actually never heard of them before I came across the one I purchased.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
As well as the ammonite I purchased a small wooden chest, a large round wooden plaque and 4 daleks. The daleks were probably made in 1963 when Dr Who first went on air. My Baby Sister reckons they might one day pay for my care home fees.
Aw nooo! That has really shattered my illusions
I thought they were full-size daleks. I had a vision of Tara unable to get out of her armchair being held hostage by four 6ft tall daleks! EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!
They do look pretty on the windowsill of your "property" though, Tara
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Aw nooo! That has really shattered my illusions
I thought they were full-size daleks. I had a vision of Tara unable to get out of her armchair being held hostage by four 6ft tall daleks! EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!
They do look pretty on the windowsill of your "property" though, Tara
I only put them there for the purposes of photographing them, my husband didn't like them there. They are now looking pretty in my bedroom.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Beautiful, Tara! I admire these whenever I have a chance to view them at shops, replicas, I think.

I love the pattern of the shell, too. One of my favorites.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
For our 50th wedding anniversary my youngest sister gave my husband and I £50 each to spend on whatever took our fancy. We went to Acorn Antiques where they have some amazing things at incredibly cheap prices. One of the purchases I made on my behalf was an ammonite. It is believe to be genuine, I am very pleased with it.

www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/ammonites.htm
If you like fossils a good place to stay is The Heights Hotel on Portland near Weymouth. The place is full of fossils & all genuine, they have them in the grounds, in the walls & in the flloor of the foyer.
I took some pics when we stayed there.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080230(1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	10506   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080233.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	10507   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080239(1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	10508  
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
If you like fossils a good place to stay is The Heights Hotel on Portland near Weymouth. The place is full of fossils & all genuine, they have them in the grounds, in the walls & in the flloor of the foyer.
I took some pics when we stayed there.
I am quite happy with my ammonite, which I believe to be genuine. If I can help it I have no wish to do anymore travelling.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 04:42 PM

We have a cabinet full of fossils, they belong to my son, he’s always been fascinated with dinosaurs and such, most were collected from Lyme Regis/ charmouth, but he’s also bought a few, you can find ammonites in rocks along the Jurassic coasts, although you might have to split the rock to reveal what’s inside, we have hundreds of belomnites, they look a bit like a bullet, but were a squid like creature, it’s fascinating looking for fossils and very addictive...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2019, 04:54 PM

We have a cabinet full of fossils, they belong to my son, he’s always been fascinated with dinosaurs and such, most were collected from Lyme Regis/ charmouth, but he’s also bought a few, you can find ammonites in rocks along the Jurassic coasts, although you might have to split the rock to reveal what’s inside, we have hundreds of belomnites, they look a bit like a bullet, but were a squid like creature, it’s fascinating looking for fossils and very addictive...
Whilst I like my ammonite, I don't find fossils addictive and wouldn't want anymore.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 06:31 PM

On a visit to Lyme Regis I stopped near the Clock Tower for a quick breather and sat on the beach. Idly looking around I turned over a few stones here and there and noticed one that was patterned. It was a beautifull preserved little ammonite.

Just facing the beach is a well know fossil shop so I popped in and showed it to them and they confirmed it and gave me data on it.

As you and the Fossil shop say you will always find something at Lyme Regis and I wasn't really looking for anything but was absolutely thrilled to find it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top