Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Re: Why Does UK Import Rubbish?

What do you expect them to say, we use the cheapest suppliers regardless of how they treat their employees so long as we get the cheapest products?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Well I think we should grow more sheep and all start knitting. Re-invent a few old fashioned things like night caps, and hats with pompoms , cabled jumpers , and squares for blankets.
Made in Britain.

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If they were in it for altruistic reasons only then it would not be capitalism.
Spot on!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:24 PM

Guardian June 2008

Primark Gap and Esprit and other British Retail Stores all employ cheap child labour working in appalling conditions in Sweatshops in India

THere are 60 to 116 million children working long hours for very little pay in India to supply British Stores.This was also reported in Panorama on TV some time ago.
It still goes on today.

Shameful!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Well I think we should grow more sheep and all start knitting. Re-invent a few old fashioned things like night caps, and hats with pompoms , cabled jumpers , and squares for blankets.
Made in Britain.

Hand knit Woolen Jumpers if hand washed, and now some wool can be machine wash as well, last a lifetime.
They are a pleasure to wear, unlike cheap acrylic.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:59 PM

I am about to give up lunch for a year to purchase a U.S. made vacuum over one made in China. It's not just the principle - this one is engineered better and made with stainless steel parts instead of plastic.

Ouch...but yay!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am about to give up lunch for a year to purchase a U.S. made vacuum over one made in China. It's not just the principle - this one is engineered better and made with stainless steel parts instead of plastic.

Ouch...but yay!
Totally agree. China has dominated the markets in just about everything but it really is hit and miss with their products. More miss I reckon. Their hardware (as in nuts and bolts and building stuff etc) is complete garbage. Poor quality screws that snap off in soft wood, nails that bend if you look sideways at them. Just really poor slapdash crap.* If I can't get what I want as far as electrical/ electronic that's made in Oz then I buy Japanese - which is usually good quality or Korean to support our region. British, German and French stuff is usually good yes but there's not much of it here that's new. YOu can get really good old British and European made goods second hand. Clothes I try to get from local manufacturers or on line from the US. I pay more but I'm not supporting a slave driver.

* This is my opinion only.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 04:07 AM

All my clothes are made in China and nothing wrong with them at all.

Decades ago I bought an Australian made 80 watt fan for $120 now I buy a Chinese made 50watt one for $17 that's a big difference and I can afford to buy several to make up for the smaller motor. if it breaks down I just throw it away and buy another not that they seem prone to break down.

China has bought deflation to the world but it won't last as the Chinese workers will want a bigger share of the rewards so enjoy it while you can.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:49 AM

About 30 million Chinese are rising above the poverty level each year, so they are doing something right. We notice the number of Chinese tourists has risen dramatically in the last decade.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Guardian June 2008

Primark Gap and Esprit and other British Retail Stores all employ cheap child labour working in appalling conditions in Sweatshops in India

THere are 60 to 116 million children working long hours for very little pay in India to supply British Stores.This was also reported in Panorama on TV some time ago.
It still goes on today.

Shameful!
But those children are often keeping families alive .
If you close the factories they lose their livelihood .
So stopping the like stop of Primark importing from them will do no good at all.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top