Join for free
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Comparison websites

Our car insurance renewal is looming so as usual I decided to have a look at the comparison websites.

As I had time on my hands waiting for some showers to pass through, just as an experiment I put the same information into three sites, Confused.com, Comparethemarket.com and Gocompare.com. and I was amazed at the difference in prices from the same insurers for the same level of cover over the three sites.

Just as an example, Admiral quoted £354 on Gocompare, £332 on Comparethemarket and £271 on Confused.. (guess who I am going with..)

But why should this be, and has anyone else ever noticed this disparity? I will definitely do this again when our other insurances come up for renewal..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Re: Comparison websites

But why should this be, and has anyone else ever noticed this disparity? I will definitely do this again when our other insurances come up for renewal..
Barry you have to factor in a first time customer discount which comes from some companies on some comparison sites .
Most insurance companies now offer an on line sign up discount for first time customers so it can be worth cutting out the middle man and checking directly with an insurance company.

I don't trust all comparison sites, the options some offer are too limited. Also it pays to read the small print to make sure you are comparing like with like.

So, I check with a number of sites, find a quote I like the look of then check with the insurance company directly..

Some advice from Which..

http://www.which.co.uk/money/bills-a...ison-websites/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Barry you have to factor in a first time customer discount which comes with some comparison sites .
Most insurance companies now offer an on line sign up discount for first time customers so it can be worth cutting out the middle man and checking directly with an insurance company.

I don't trust all comparison sites, the options some offer are too limited. Also it pays to read the small print to make sure you are comparing like with like.
Ninety percent of the time I buy insurance through the comparison sites but only normally use one or the other of them at a time, and I have often found that going direct can sometimes work out more expensive.

I found the same was true when I was a builder, that I could buy bricks cheaper through a merchant than I could through the manufacturer, as the merchant demanded much better discounts of the manufacturer for promoting their product and selling higher volumes. Presumably the same must be true for comparison sites who can sell in higher volumes......
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 10:22 AM

We always use the Comparison Sites every time the car or house Insurance renewal comes around. Sometimes we have to change every year, sometimes not if there's only a couple of pounds between the renewal quote and the best for us on the Site.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 03:47 PM

But the Meerkats are soooooooo cute!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 06:37 PM

You know I am getting just a bit fed up of the Meercats..... never thought I would say that but there you go ... you never know with a Gemini !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

14-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Just out of interest I put in our details for a home insurance quote today into the same three sites and again got wildly varying prices from the same insurers over the three sites, but interestingly Confused.com again came out the cheapest....

p.s. I hate those stupid b****y meerkats...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 07:00 PM

I need to renew my house insurance so I might look at Confused plantman - just need to check and see if they are bad at paying up if something happens.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top