Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Equine Influenza

Dare I even think it, let alone say it . . . .

The F. Jab, (sshh), but this time for horses!

3 horses with equine influenza in the news this week, all racing put on hold, then tonight, three more cases.

These valuable animals were apparently all vaccinated against flu already.

I feel sorry for the poor horses, but I suspect many in the racing world are more concerned about losing dosh with the racing being called off, especially with the Grand National coming along in April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47171180
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 12:19 AM

Re: Equine Influenza

They have cancelled the racing here as well, at one of the local race tracks, racing at the other doesn't start til April anyway.
I thought the vaccine was current, obviously not & a different strain of equine flu is about. It's a worry, not only for race horses but any horse can get it, be it child's pet or eventer. Quite glad I no longer have horses.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 12:39 AM

Horses are quite delicate animals especially as we increasingly keep them -in boxes or space taped off paddocks .
There is an outbreak of strangles in our area .
Doesn't seem to stop them hunting though.
They hunt openly in Wiltshire our MP hunts !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Horses are quite delicate animals especially as we increasingly keep them -in boxes or space taped off paddocks .
There is an outbreak of strangles in our area .
Doesn't seem to stop them hunting though.
They hunt openly in Wiltshire our MP hunts !
Strangles is horrible. We had a horse at the stable I worked at with it, luckily none of the other horses caught it. Which was amazing but very lucky.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dare I even think it, let alone say it . . . .

The F. Jab, (sshh), but this time for horses!

3 horses with equine influenza in the news this week, all racing put on hold, then tonight, three more cases.

These valuable animals were apparently all vaccinated against flu already.

I feel sorry for the poor horses, but I suspect many in the racing world are more concerned about losing dosh with the racing being called off, especially with the Grand National coming along in April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47171180

Like Foot and Mouth Equine Influenza is exotic to Australia but some years ago an imported racehorse from Japan came into the country with it. All horse movements were stopped for many weeks until they were sure that the disease had been completely eradicated.

If your horse was at a country NSW showground for a gymkhana that is where it stayed for months.

There is a bit about it here:

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-a...08-ei-outbreak
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
They have cancelled the racing here as well, at one of the local race tracks, racing at the other doesn't start til April anyway.
I thought the vaccine was current, obviously not & a different strain of equine flu is about. It's a worry, not only for race horses but any horse can get it, be it child's pet or eventer. Quite glad I no longer have horses.

Yes, quite. I didn't think until I heard it on the news that donkeys can also get it.

My friend has three horses, but she said hers are annually vaccinated.
As Muddy says, I bet it won't stop the hunting morons though!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

09-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, quite. I didn't think until I heard it on the news that donkeys can also get it.

My friend has three horses, but she said hers are annually vaccinated.
As Muddy says, I bet it won't stop the hunting morons though!
I should hope the race horses are vaccinated too, but if the flu is a different strain, it might not be good enough.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 01:47 PM

As I never go racing and I think that horse racing is not kind to horses (unnatural conditions , 23/24 hours in a box , racing what amounts to baby animals , tremendous wastage of horses and gruelling runs for steeplechasers ) I really won't be worried about the closure of race courses.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I should hope the race horses are vaccinated too, but if the flu is a different strain, it might not be good enough.

I think you are right Tiff.
I believe it said all race horses are vaccinated.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
As I never go racing and I think that horse racing is not kind to horses (unnatural conditions , 23/24 hours in a box , racing what amounts to baby animals , tremendous wastage of horses and gruelling runs for steeplechasers ) I really won't be worried about the closure of race courses.

Nor me Muddy.

Bet the horse owners are fidgeting though.
All about money as usual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top