Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:04 PM

Travelling Circuses

He's got my vote !!!

Travelling circuses will be banned from using wild animals from next year.

Environment Secretary Michael Gove announced a new bill to prevent animals such as reindeer, zebras and camels being forced to perform in circuses in England. The move has been welcomed by animal rights groups who have campaigned for years to stop the ‘cruel spectacle’ of performing animals. David Bowles, head of public affairs at the RSPCA, said: ‘We really welcome the Government introducing a Bill to ban the outdated practice of using wild animals in circuses. ‘We’ve campaigned against having wild animals in circuses for many years. They have complex needs that cannot be properly met in a circus environment. ‘It’s high time keeping wild animals in circuses is consigned to the history books and we look forward to the day that it is banned for good in England.’ There are now just two circuses with wild animal licences – Circus Mondao and Peter Jolly’s circus. Metro.co.uk has learnt that between them they have 19 animals – six reindeer, four zebra, camels, three raccoons, a fox, a macaw, and a zebu. The circuses maintain they look after their animals correctly and deny they are wild.

The UK government announced early in 2018 that wild-animal circuses would be banned in 2020. Mr Gove has now introduced legislation to make that happen in England from January next year. Scotland already has a ban in place while one in Wales is set to come into force within months. Northern Ireland had started moves to introduce a ban but that has now faltered with the collapse of the power-sharing government. The results of a recent survey showed that 95% of people supported a ban. Mr Gove said: ‘Travelling circuses are no place for wild animals in the 21st century and I am pleased that this legislation will put an end to this practice for good. ‘Today’s announcement follows other measures we have taken to strengthen our position as a world leader on animal protection. ‘This includes our ban on ivory sales to protect elephants, and delivering Finn’s Law to strengthen the protection of service animals.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/01/trave...7o?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:09 PM

Re: Travelling Circuses

I thought they already were banned. None who come here even have horses or dogs now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought they already were banned. None who come here even have horses or dogs now.

Same here Tiff, I thought they were banned too.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:10 AM

It's about time, but I too thought it was all outlawed already. Unless that was different animals.
On a similar theme, pet shops also cannot sell dogs, cats and some other animals.

Are flea circuses exempt one wonders?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 03:23 AM

Silvers Circus which visits us every year hasn't had animals for quite some time.They have dinosaurs now.

http://www.silverscircus.com.au/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:12 AM

Hi

A difficult issue.

Animals are not to be abused for our pleasure.

My dogs however have loved obstacle courses and getting wet.

Flatcoats have a natural instinct to jump into any water at all.

They loved it when one of the kids threw a toy into the water in the local brook and they had to swim to get it.

It was brought back straightaway with tails wagging for the next time.

If they are having fun for themselves, I have no problem with it.

My dogs loved dog agility classes.they could not wait to jump into the back of the car for them, tails wagging and went mental when they got there.

I do not consider this to be abuse of animals.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Me too.

I have loathed circuses ever since I was small child. Couldn't bear watching beautiful creatures - lions, tigers, horses etc., - being made to do stupid, undignified tricks to the sound of a whip. Plus I was terrified by the clowns - I'd as lief be in the cage with the tigers as be anywhere near a clown! One visit when I was 5yrs old was enough to put me off circus for life.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:57 AM

I thought the same as others, that it was already banned.
Michael Gove trying to make himself popular, I think. Not working on me!

I don't even like dressage, personally.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Ditto...thought it was banned yonks ago. And thank god.
I dont even bet on the grand national as most horses have never ran that distance and are extremely ill after or die after it,all for sport !
Dogs 'enjoy' agility courses, its natural to most breeds, altho some shows take it to the extreme, IMO.
There rant over, lol
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I thought the same as others, that it was already banned.
Michael Gove trying to make himself popular, I think. Not working on me!

I don't even like dressage, personally.
No, it was never passed. A bill was presented on about 4 different occasions and either one ,two or both MP' s. blocked the bill each time. Christopher Chope
being one of them.

Gove has done the right thing, otherwise it will never happen.

Already the tigers and lions have either died or mysteriously been moved to Europe to continue their performances, as there is no mention of them now.

2016, these animals being hidden in Wales somewhere. They should ban all animals, dogs included as these people are not fit to have animals.

Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZTAzQDQQ8

Animals should not be used for our entertainment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top