Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Hands Up! Who Likes Bakewell Tarts?

I love Bakewell Tarts, yet l can’t stand marzipan.
I made the ones pictured at midnight last night because l didn’t have time in the day! They were the second batch from the mixture l made on Sunday.
I make the pastry and the sponge mixture but l only use half and keep the rest in the fridge. I make 9 Bakewell Tarts at a time, as 18 is too many! They also taste nicer when fresh.
These don’t look great as l made them quick and browned them too much and the jam started to escape!
They taste lovely though!

It set me wondering. We can access recipes via books, television and the internet but if there were no televisions or radios back then and travel was really only for gentry. How did these regional recipes get passed on to other areas?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB75C296-8DEE-43CF-A4EB-A19D36BF9B49.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	9634  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 04:46 PM

Re: Hands Up! Who Likes Bakewell Tarts?

I even took a detour to buy the real tarts in Bakewell when we were going to visit my Bro & S-I-L, if we lived nearer I'd buy them often. I think the genuine Bakewell tarts recipe is secret.
They are actually called puddings & are different to the tarts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 04:50 PM

I am a Bakewell Tart I come from just outside Bakewell
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Then you must have been in the pudding shop?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:15 PM

I had a lovely Bakewell Tart when I once visited Wirksworth for the Well Dressing .....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:16 PM

I'm not too fussy where the tart is from.............
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I Knew it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:21 PM

I love Bakewell tarts and I'm not fussy either but there does seem to be various types. There's the ones by Mr Kipling, then there's the bigger ones with icing on, then there's Art's. Art's Look nicest but I don't think there are enough to go round.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:47 PM

I do like Bakewell Tarts.

And yes, I must admit that out of all the processed cakes on the shelves, the ones I am a bit addicted to are Mr. Kipling's Trifle Bakewells.

They aren't true bakewells, but they are, for some reason, rather moreish, and a carton of 6 doesn't last very long.

In fact, I'm ashamed to say that I bought a pack at lunchtime today, and there aren't any left now.

They are quite small, though.

A nice homemade Bakewell tart with custard is yummy, though!

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

It set me wondering. We can access recipes via books, television and the internet but if there were no televisions or radios back then and travel was really only for gentry. How did these regional recipes get passed on to other areas?
I expect it was Mrs.Beeton!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top