Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Three more die on Everest amid overcrowding near summit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48395241

Three more climbers have died on Mount Everest, taking the death toll to seven in a week - more than the total for the whole of last year.

The three died of exhaustion while descending on Thursday.

It comes amid traffic jams near the summit as record numbers make the ascent, despite calls to limit the number of climbing permits.

Nepal has issued 381 permits at $11,000 (£8,600) each for the spring climbing season at the world's highest peak.

Two Indian climbers - Kalpana Das, 52, and Nihal Bagwan, 27 - died while scaling back down the mountain on Thursday.

Local tour organiser Keshav Paudel told AFP news agency that Bagwan had been "stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours and was exhausted".

A 65-year-old Austrian climber died on the northern Tibet side of the mountain.

An Indian and an American lost their lives on the mountain on Wednesday, while an Irish professor, Séamus Lawless, is presumed dead after falling on 16 May.

The rising numbers of people climbing - and dying - on Everest has led for calls for permits to be limited.
Stuck in traffic on Everest .....

And the waste the "climbers" leave behind:

..... and, of course, the bodies:

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Re: Three more die on Everest amid overcrowding near summit

We know that people have managed to achieve this climb, but I have never understood why so many risk their lives to do so.

It is their families, friends and loved ones who suffer most from anything going wrong!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 02:16 PM

It cost $11,000 to risk losing your life climbing a mountain?
What exactly is the attraction? Is it the challenge itself? A dare?
I’ve read that dead bodies can be seen all along this trail.
If that’s not a turn off itself I’m not sure what is.
How sad and disgusting
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 02:21 PM

It worries me when I climb a ladder, wondering if I can get down safely.
Mountains, nah I will leave that to the goats.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 03:36 PM

They know the risks and you can only defy the odds for so long, so I celebrate the fact that they died doing the thing they loved.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 03:39 PM

I think the rubbish they leave behind is disgraceful. They carried it up there - they should be made to carry it down again - including the bodies!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I think the rubbish they leave behind is disgraceful. They carried it up there - they should be made to carry it down again - including the bodies!
I agree ST , they are defacing a thing of great beauty with their rubbish. If they want to climb Everest they should leave it as pristine as it was intended to be.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree ST , they are defacing a thing of great beauty with their rubbish. If they want to climb Everest they should leave it as pristine as it was intended to be.
Can't argue with that....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:34 PM

High time it was closed to the public.

Did you see the photograph of the traffic jam?
It was appalling...that was what killed one of them, not the climb itself but the hours of delay getting safely back down.
At that dangerously high altitude every minute counts.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-190523-twip-04_dceb4156089b16cadbfc4fc6f2e5dd74.fit-2000w.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	9670  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
High time it was closed to the public.

Did you see the photograph of the traffic jam?
It was appalling...that was what killed one of them, not the climb itself but the hours of delay getting safely back down.
At that dangerously high altitude every minute counts.
I am reminded of the queue on Snowdon, but there's no Death Zone on the Welsh Mountain and "climbers" take their rubbish home with them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top