Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Fresh garlic

Has anyone ever tried fresh garlic?

That is, while it is a bit immature and straight out of the ground, as opposed to the semi-dried papery bulbs you usually get?

I recently tried one, and, if you like garlic, this is for you!

It comes with a section of its shoot/stalk, which you also eat, and you can just slice through the whole thing, stalk and bulb, like a leek.
You don't have to split the bulb into cloves.

It's a lot stronger than the ordinary semi-dried type, and its flavour is more intense, and so hangs around for longer, but if you like garlic, it's great!

It looks like this...

Because it's fresh, it won't last as long as an ordinary garlic bulb, but it's delish!

(I'll have to find out if it's freezable).

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Re: Fresh garlic

Hi Pyxell I grow garlic every year the soft neck usually some of which I eat straight from the ground and some I dry and plait to use all winter.

Your picture looks like 'hardneck' which I have grown this year,
it doesn't produce so many cloves or keep as well as soft neck and it had a hard stem called a 'scrape' which is very tasty.

Waitrose sometimes sell fresh garlic under the name of 'wet garlic' .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pyxell I grow garlic every year the soft neck usually some of which I eat straight from the ground and some I dry and plait to use all winter.

Your picture looks like 'hardneck' which I have grown this year,
it doesn't produce so many cloves or keep as well as soft neck and it had a hard stem called a 'scrape' which is very tasty.

Waitrose sometimes sell fresh garlic under the name of 'wet garlic' .
Next time I get a clove or two that starts to sprout, I might put it in a pot and see what happens!

I don't think I've seen it in Waitrose, but then I wasn't looking for it.
My veg box people started offering it so, game as ever for some new food, I thought I'd try it! Yum Yum!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 04:05 PM

I cook with garlic from time to time
But I cut it with my hands protected as I don't like the smell to linger on my fingers for days.

Fresh garlic looks very interesting Pyxell ...
Pyxell
South of England

15-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I cook with garlic from time to time
But I cut it with my hands protected as I don't like the smell to linger on my fingers for days.

Fresh garlic looks very interesting Pyxell ...
Re. the smell on your hands, I found the foolproof way was to wash my hands with washing-up liquid immediately after chopping the garlic, and paying special attention to under the fingernails and around the cuticles and backs of the hands too.

They never smelled if I did that.

I also found a handy gadget in a garden centre. Jolly expensive, but it can slice or chop a whole clove at a time. It doesn't crush, though.

I'll see if I can find it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Pyxell, I grow garlic but it’s never great. I wonder if l should eat it as you do, when it’s fresh and it might be better?

My daughter loves garlic chives and l would like to grow some of that.
I wondered if the green shoots from the garlic l am growing would be similar to garlic chives?
Pyxell
South of England

15-06-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pyxell, I grow garlic but it’s never great. I wonder if l should eat it as you do, when it’s fresh and it might be better?

My daughter loves garlic chives and l would like to grow some of that.
I wondered if the green shoots from the garlic l am growing would be similar to garlic chives?
You can but try! They might be stronger than garlic chives, though!
Pyxell
South of England

18-06-2019, 07:44 PM

I was roasting some courgettes and red peppers today, so decided to slice and roast a fresh garlic as well, and it was lovely!

I'm finding that because the taste of fresh garlic is somewhat umami, it's giving me a ravenous appetite!

By the way, should I be calling it green garlic?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 07:53 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about ordinary garlic over schwartz jar or powdered E numbers.

But ...no I've not seen it quite like that.
Pyxell
South of England

18-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I thought this thread was going to be about ordinary garlic over schwartz jar or powdered E numbers.

But ...no I've not seen it quite like that.
No, nor had I until two weeks ago!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top