Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 02:50 AM

Re: Fresh garlic

rub your hands on stainless steel under cold water. It takes away he smell. Anything stainless steel, like a butter knife or a pot.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 03:42 AM

Really?
Never heard that but I’ll try it for sure.
Thanks CandyCrunch
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Has anyone ever tried fresh garlic?

That is, while it is a bit immature and straight out of the ground, as opposed to the semi-dried papery bulbs you usually get?
I always used to grow the stuff myself (very easy to do) but these days I don't even buy the papery cloves I just buy a jar of minced garlic.

About the only spice I do grow these days is hot Chilli, unfortunately they rarely survive the winter so I have to replant every year (using the seeds from the previous years crop).
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 08:23 AM

smoked garlic

is in fashion at the moment, I tried it once, think I prefer regular.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I was roasting some courgettes and red peppers today, so decided to slice and roast a fresh garlic as well, and it was lovely!

I'm finding that because the taste of fresh garlic is somewhat umami, it's giving me a ravenous appetite!

By the way, should I be calling it green garlic?
Hi Pyxell I would say technically yes or 'wet garlic '.
If you ask in a shop for 'garlic' you will be given dried heads of cloves.
Not many shops sell it though, I have bought it in Waitrose and I understand some Sainsbury's sell it and of course farm shops.

I pulled one of my heads of garlic up yesterday, it was delicious but still quite small, it needs some sun
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
smoked garlic

is in fashion at the moment, I tried it once, think I prefer regular.
Is that the black garlic?

If so, I have had that, too, and it is something else!

Firstly, it doesn't taste of garlic at all, and there's no aftersmell.
Secondly, it lasts for absolutely ages.
Thirdly, it's jet black, and like a paste.
Fourthly, it's got incredible nutritional value, because the allicin in the garlic is concentrated, and being smoked renders it far more absorbable than the allicin in ordinary garlic.

In some cultures, they eat it like sweets, and consider it to be the secret to 'everlasting life'.

You can either add the soft paste cloves to cooking, or you can eat them straight from the bulb, squeezing the paste out of the 'skin'.

It tastes slightly sweet, and as said, doesn't taste of garlic!

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Always fresh. Eat it all the time. Some say it's nature's antibiotic. I don't know about that but I couldn't do without it. I can feel it doing me good

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top