Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Is it any wonder that violence is increasing?

Increasingly we are seeing news items of incidents of violence in this country. Is it any wonder when the penalties for such appalling behaviour just do not seem to fit the crime. They are so low that offenders must just laugh and walk away ready to commit the same crime again if and when they feel like it.

This attack is on the people who are there to help all of us, ambulance staff, not just 'ordinary people', although any attack on anyone is bad enough.

What are your comments on sentencing like this for crimes such as that shown?

"Shocking footage released by emergency services in the East Midlands shows the moment a man violently attacks two paramedics in the back of an ambulance.

The assault happened in Nottingham on 27 January. Technician Heath Ismay and Ambulance Care Assistant Mark Maddy were attending a patient, Matthew Fealey, in Talbot Street after concerned passers-by called for an ambulance.

Once in the back of the ambulance, Fealey became aggressive and attacked crew, throwing punches and kicking, as can be seen in the video.

Matthew Fealey, 34, from Methyr Tydfil in Wales was arrested and charged with assault. He was given a 17-week prison sentence, suspended for 12-months at Nottingham Magistrates Court on 29 March."

https://www.itv.com/news/central/201...-in-ambulance/

Note: No need to watch the video if you do not like to see violence, just reading the description of the attack is probably enough.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Re: Is it any wonder that violence is increasing?

Not good but lower than in the 1990s.
It's the current rate of increase that is alarming.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:29 PM

I think drug use fuels many of these attacks .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I agree Zule, I saw an article on the net today about, I think it was Middlesborough? where a bag of heroine can be bought for as little as £5. What the hell!
If drugs are so cheap there really is no hope I fear.

Yes Baz, the sentence needs to fit the crime but our prisons are overcrowded. Only last week my Dad commented to me that he couldn't remember any new prisons being built, the ones we have are fit to burst.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:58 PM

From what I have heard, seen, and read Baz, this is getting quite a common occurence for our emergency helpers now.

The Police and Ambulance workers are facing it daily.
This is sourced from reliable info sent to me by Action Fraud, and Neighbourhood Watch people, as well as the newspapers and TV news.

I believe young people today are brought up surrounded by much more violence than we ever saw when we were younger.
Yes, we knew it existed, but to nowhere the extent it does now.

And what about television?
A few nights ago, there were FOUR films on about killing, one after the other.
I am going on memory now, but I think it was shootings and stabbings from about 9pm through till the early hours.

There never used to be all this stuff constantly on telly when I was growing up, and I wouldn't have been allowed to watch it even if it were. Kids seem to watch whatever they want now.

At school, if there was bad feeling in the playground, the worst that happened was a boy might have pushed another lad over! Bit different to the weapons kids carry nowadays.
We would never, ever dared assault a teacher, but they cop it regularly these days too.

Violence and cruelty is everywhere, but I don't know the answers, other than much stiffer sentences than some of these ridiculous judges are handing out. Even so, that is still punishment after the crime - I don't think it will stop it happening.

I also think street crimes - fights, brawling, stabbings, break-ins etc, have got more and more prevalent since Bobbies rarely walk the streets anymore.
They used to often spot 'funny goings on' instead of being in an office waiting to be called after the event.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:00 PM

To be honest I am fed up with commenting on this type of behaviour.

Where does it get us?

How do we go about protecting our ambulance staff?

They are all brave and selfless !..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Zuleiker, it was in our local paper recently, that there has been a huge police 'operation' in this area seeking and arresting a large and clever gang with connections in London.
These people were recruiting young kids to be drug runners for them. This is another thing that seems to be happening more and more of late, recruiting kids.
Quite a few have been arrested over it now.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Also not forgetting alcohol, that has a lot to account for in the violence we see today.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Sorry Mups, but Bobbies would now need to be multilingual.
Baz46

01-07-2019, 09:07 PM

Just taking this article, published in September 2018, the statistics are really shocking, as shown by the subheadings below taken from the article on the link below. Nearly a year on I feel sure there will have been increases in these numbers:

• More than 70 police officers attacked a day

• Seven in ten ambulance workers assaulted on duty

• 75,000 violent incidents across NHS England

• A quarter of attacks on firefighters involved flying objects

• Two prison officers in A&E every day

https://www.theweek.co.uk/96456/atta...ful-statistics

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top