Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Why Don’t Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Easter Eggs Melt?

I have made a chocolate cake and I usually put milk chocolate on the top.
I remembered, l had a Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Easter egg (in date) in the cupboard, so l decided to use that. I broke it up and put it in a bowl in the microwave like l normally do to melt chocolate.

I put it in the microwave for a minute and tested how melted it was but it wasn’t much different. I put it in for one more minute and it was starting to go dark brown in parts!

I took it out and stirred it but it was just a bit of a sugary lump and not melted like chocolate normally melts!

I looked online and read other people have found this too, it won’t melt!
What have Kraft done to Dairy Milk that it won’t melt anymore, it just goes sugary and crunchy?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Re: Why Don’t Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Easter Eggs Melt?

You really do hate that egg don't you. You have tried smashing it and now microwaving it but still it won't die.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Perhaps because they are made with mainly artificial ingredients

I’m not quite sure but that would be my guess.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Because the chocolate chicken inside it doesn't want to be born yet

Sorry Art, no idea
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Is it because of this:

Non-melting chocolate invented by Cadbury's

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...-Cadburys.html

By Nick Collins, Science Correspondent12:39PM GMT 25 Nov 2012

Food scientists working at Cadbury's research plant in Bournville, near Birmingham, claim their new Dairy Milk bars will remain solid even when left in 104F (40C) heat for three hours.

But the company, which was taken over by American food group Kraft two years ago, says it will only sell the product in warmer countries like India and Brazil because there is "no market" for it in the UK.

Normal chocolate begins melting at 93F (34C), but in a patent application the Cadbury's scientists describe a method for dramatically improving its resistance to heat.

It involves a change in the "conching step" of chocolate production where ingredients including cocoa butter, vegetable oils, milk and sugar are ground down in a container filled with metal balls.

By adapting the technique the scientists are able to reduce the sugar into smaller particles meaning they are covered with less fat, which makes the bar less prone to melting.

Tony Bilsborough, head of corporate affairs at Kraft Foods, said there were "no plans" to use the new recipe in Britain where temperatures are rarely high enough to damage chocolate, adding: "This simply would not sell".

"To be honest I don't think any chocoholics would welcome this recipe because it would not taste as good as Dairy Milk," he said.
Did Kraft later change their plans .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You really do hate that egg don't you. You have tried smashing it and now microwaving it but still it won't die.
Longy, I’m not sure that l did it humanely! I even devoured it off a slice of the cake!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Perhaps because they are made with mainly artificial ingredients

I’m not quite sure but that would be my guess.
Bratti, I think you are probably right. It seems Kraft have changed the ingredients for Cadbury’s Dairy Milk chocolate.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Because the chocolate chicken inside it doesn't want to be born yet

Sorry Art, no idea
Floydy, That brings up the question... who came first? The chicken or the egg?!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Is it because of this:

Non-melting chocolate invented by Cadbury's

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...-Cadburys.html

By Nick Collins, Science Correspondent12:39PM GMT 25 Nov 2012

Did Kraft later change their plans .....
Omah, It makes you wonder?
I may put some of the chocolate outside in the hot sun and see if it melts in natural heat!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Floydy, That brings up the question... who came first? The chicken or the egg?!!
Dunno love. Ask Omah, I'm sure he'll Google it for you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top