Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Re: Giant Jellyfish

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They are beautiful creatures but I certainly wouldn't fancy eating one. Much prefer to see it floating around scaring surfers.
The picture in my mind is me snaking around in the surf trying to paddle around them (which I have too often done), while you stand ashore making bets with passers by on how long it will take me to either paddle in or get one plastered on the side of my face.

I actually do surf with jellies in late August and September when the water temperatures are at their highest and they are gorging on microscopic algae. In early August they are juveniles - just stingless, golf-ball-sized blobs of gelatin. It's a very odd sensation, paddling through literally hundreds of thousands of them. By September, I am watching for them like a hawk, and surfing like champion for fear of falling off into a nest of them.

Now where's my stick?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Re: Giant Jellyfish

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The picture in my mind is me snaking around in the surf trying to paddle around them (which I have too often done), while you stand ashore making bets with passers by on how long it will take me to either paddle in or get one plastered on the side of my face.

I actually do surf with jellies in late August and September when the water temperatures are at their highest and they are gorging on microscopic algae. In early August they are juveniles - just stingless, golf-ball-sized blobs of gelatin. It's a very odd sensation, paddling through literally hundreds of thousands of them. By September, I am watching for them like a hawk, and surfing like champion for fear of falling off into a nest of them.

Now where's my stick?
I have only really witnessed them whilst relaxing on my lilo.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top