Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Re: Beach donkeys

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I love donkeys, they're beautiful.
They are such gentle inoffensive creatures - too often cruelly treated.

People are still taking dogs out on hot pavements in this heat, poor donkeys out all day too!
There was a woman on the 'bus yesterday with a young poodle type of dog. The poor thing looked as though it had not been clipped in months - if ever - just a tangle of hot, sticky fleece, lying under her seat. Felt very sorry for it. When I said the poor dog looked hot and uncomfortable I was told - in very vulgar language - to mind my own business.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:31 AM

I am afraid all this pales in comparison to what Donkeys suffer in other countries not that it excuses it at all.
There they work in the heat all the time and not carrying a child but carrying terribly heavy loads such as bricks and coal .They are used as living wheel barrows.And the Donkeys are little too frail little things .
Even in Europe they don't fare very well in Spain they are still used for tourists to ride up steep hot streets .

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:31 AM

I recall this was brought up some years ago and regulations were passed to prevent the ill-treatment of donkeys used for the purpose of beach rides.

I guess anyone concerned about what they see with donkeys on beaches in this kind of hot weather could always report it to an organisation such as the RSPCA to start with.

There are a couple of links below. The first gives those regulations and the second is a newspaper item about the problem.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-april2018.pdf

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8483026.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yup I agree Omah
Me too although I did have to look up 'oubliette'
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Blackpool beach donkeys rescued after being punched, kicked, and hit with sticks

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/blackp...after-13605428

The abusive owners of the 29 donkeys were found guilty of a string of animal cruelty charges, and banned for keeping animals for three years

17 NOV 2018

IMO, such "owners" should be thrown into an oubliette for a week or two .....
No mention of where the owners kept the 29 donkeys Omah
Were they members of the so called traveller community?
Perhaps the SPCA could keep a closer eye on them, and
also press for more controlls on ownership of these animals??

Regards Donkeyman!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:19 PM

I have been several times to Weston & Weymouth & those donkeys always look well cared for & happy. At Weymouth they have a covered area to wait in & plenty of water & fodder. We watched them for a long time as I was trying to get the best pic & not once did we see them illtreated or handled badly, the men in charge seemed to really love their donkeys. All the donkeys looked well & fit & groomed too, tack in good condition.

Weston donkeys & Weymouth donkeys.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010727(1).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	10343   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020942(1).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	10344  
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have been several times to Weston & Weymouth & those donkeys always look well cared for & happy. At Weymouth they have a covered area to wait in & plenty of water & fodder. We watched them for a long time as I was trying to get the best pic & not once did we see them illtreated or handled badly, the men in charge seemed to really love their donkeys. All the donkeys looked well & fit & groomed too, tack in good condition.

Weston donkeys & Weymouth donkeys.
That makes all the difference, it's the ones who don't love and care for their Donks that hack me off. I'm very glad there are none up here on Dunnet Beach.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Muddy;1751060]I am afraid all this pales in comparison to what Donkeys suffer in other countries not that it excuses it at all.
There they work in the heat all the time and not carrying a child but carrying terribly heavy loads such as bricks and coal .They are used as living wheel barrows.And the Donkeys are little too frail little things .
Even in Europe they don't fare very well in Spain they are still used for tourists to ride up steep hot streets .

Yes, I know what you mean about the working donkeys abroad, Muddy. The Brick Kilns of India are evil places for them. This is what the Donkey Sanctuary has to say.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.u...ys-in-industry
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They are such gentle inoffensive creatures - too often cruelly treated.

There was a woman on the 'bus yesterday with a young poodle type of dog. The poor thing looked as though it had not been clipped in months - if ever - just a tangle of hot, sticky fleece, lying under her seat. Felt very sorry for it. When I said the poor dog looked hot and uncomfortable I was told - in very vulgar language - to mind my own business.

I thought of you and your Craft work just now, Tabs, because if there is anyone who can knit or crochet and has wool oddments to use up, you can help the donkeys by doing a little bit of knitting.
See here:

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.u...ved/get-crafty
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I didn't know there were still beach donkeys in the UK .

Some beaches use small ponies instead, or as well, as donkeys now. I don't know the reason.

When I went to Norfolk two or three years ago, they had ponies on the beach instead of donkeys there.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top