Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 04:59 AM

Re: Another Shooting

I know very little about America, other than what we see and hear on the news in the UK. The right to bear arms seems to be at the crux of all these shootings, as some on here have already mentioned. However, isn't all this killing and that right self-perpetuating? People feel the need to protect themselves so buy the guns they are entitled to have, then something in their lives happens, whatever that may be, then they go out and take revenge for whatever their perceived issues may be.

It's similar, I believe, in the UK with all the stabbings we now hear about. People have a fear of being attacked so carry knives, something happens so they use those knives to protect themselves, or somebody else uses that weapon on the person carrying it. That like the American problem is self-perpetuating as I see it.

What a sad, sad world we live in these days. It will never end while those in power to do something shirk their responsibilities, be they parents not bringing their children up in the right way, to respect other people, or politicians not ensuring our laws are being used to hand out penalties commensurate with the crimes committed.

Everybody needs to see that there are consequences for wrongdoing and those penalties need to be harsh enough to prevent what is happening more and regularly. Some people simply do whatever they wish as there is less and less chance of being caught and punished. This may be a simplified view of what's happening, there are I am sure more complicated reasons, but the basics seem to be missing from some people's lives and that is where the problem lies IMO.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
EL Paso. Yes another one, unknown dead and 22 in hospital some serious. Second mass shooting in 6 days. About time they revoked the constitution on the right to carry guns
Do you think people would just hand them over if they did, Realspeed? It would just become another underground racket like booze was doing prohibition, or like drugs are now.

I really wish there was an easy answer - but - until people regain some respect for themselves and for others, the americans are stuck with the problem.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by baz46 ->
i know very little about america, other than what we see and hear on the news in the uk. The right to bear arms seems to be at the crux of all these shootings, as some on here have already mentioned. However, isn't all this killing and that right self-perpetuating? People feel the need to protect themselves so buy the guns they are entitled to have, then something in their lives happens, whatever that may be, then they go out and take revenge for whatever their perceived issues may be.

It's similar, i believe, in the uk with all the stabbings we now hear about. People have a fear of being attacked so carry knives, something happens so they use those knives to protect themselves, or somebody else uses that weapon on the person carrying it. That like the american problem is self-perpetuating as i see it.

What a sad, sad world we live in these days. It will never end while those in power to do something shirk their responsibilities, be they parents not bringing their children up in the right way, to respect other people, or politicians not ensuring our laws are being used to hand out penalties commensurate with the crimes committed.

Everybody needs to see that there are consequences for wrongdoing and those penalties need to be harsh enough to prevent what is happening more and regularly. Some people simply do whatever they wish as there is less and less chance of being caught and punished. This may be a simplified view of what's happening, there are i am sure more complicated reasons, but the basics seem to be missing from some people's lives and that is where the problem lies imo.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
This time at Walmart ,El Paso , Texas.
One killed and lots injured , so sad, what is happening over there ?. I just don"t know TBH.
I'm afraid it's 20 dead and over 40 people injured .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49221936
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Don't know the ins and outs but knives are loosely like football violence. 95% ish of football violence was carried out between assenting groups for which the happenings became a culture, bit like gangs and knives. Random shootings in shopping centres, schools, colleges etc, do not correlate in any way with knifings Imo.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 07:14 AM

I agree
Also although knives are used on the innocent too they cannot wreak the terrible damage that a gun especially these semi automatics can cause in a few seconds.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 08:35 AM

And still the US cannot see how their crazy gun culture encourages these terrible mass shootings, which happen on a regular basis.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Isn't it peculiar how we see the headline 'Another mass shooting in the USA' and it doesn't move us at all its so common place....they really need to look at their gun laws because these occurrences will only get worse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I know very little about America, other than what we see and hear on the news in the UK. The right to bear arms seems to be at the crux of all these shootings, as some on here have already mentioned. However, isn't all this killing and that right self-perpetuating? People feel the need to protect themselves so buy the guns they are entitled to have, then something in their lives happens, whatever that may be, then they go out and take revenge for whatever their perceived issues may be.

It's similar, I believe, in the UK with all the stabbings we now hear about. People have a fear of being attacked so carry knives, something happens so they use those knives to protect themselves, or somebody else uses that weapon on the person carrying it. That like the American problem is self-perpetuating as I see it.

Everybody needs to see that there are consequences for wrongdoing and those penalties need to be harsh enough to prevent what is happening more and regularly. Some people simply do whatever they wish as there is less and less chance of being caught and punished. This may be a simplified view of what's happening, there are I am sure more complicated reasons, but the basics seem to be missing from some people's lives and that is where the problem lies IMO.

Good post, Baz.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Isn't it peculiar how we see the headline 'Another mass shooting in the USA' and it doesn't move us at all its so common place....they really need to look at their gun laws because these occurrences will only get worse.
I agree Summer, but what happens in the USA soon becomes the norm here! I know we still have strict rules on guns, but we still have knives being used to kill many people!

Isn't the real problem that everybody wants power & the best way to overpower people is if they are a threat to other's lives?

All political parties make nice promises to get votes, but until we get a strong government, who make laws that cannot be changed, the general public will know that there will always be a way that a good lawyer can get them an easy sentence.... if they get caught!

Sadly I feel that living in a country, where violence is so easily accepted, will destroy the civilized countries that most of the West have taken for granted!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top