Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Patriotism!

There is a saying, 'patriotism is the last bastion of a scoundrel.' Never in a million years would I support my country if I thought it was in the wrong, as I do where the crazy Brexit business is concerned.

That flag waving country across the pond seems to pride itself on its patriotic fervour, but is no better for it.

The sick in the head US white supremacists seem to forget that the native Americans are not white, it is the Caucasians who are the incomers.

I have no time for patriotism.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Re: Patriotism!

Patriotism for where you happened to be born, without any say in it, seems a bit unfair. I looked at many countries and chose one that I liked most of all, which was not where I was born. Patriotism is just an extension of tribalism, when safety was in numbers.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Patriotism for where you happened to be born, without any say in it, seems a bit unfair. I looked at many countries and chose one that I liked most of all, which was not where I was born. Patriotism is just an extension of tribalism, when safety was in numbers.
Patriotism is just another way of motivating the populace
to carry out the bstates wishes, just like religion and race
etc imo Ciderman!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Flag-waving is for the insecure. Most of us are quietly patriotic, with nothing to prove.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:06 PM

Sacrificing your life for love of your country would probably be seen as the ultimate in patriotism. The First World War, for example is why we are all here today.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sacrificing your life for love of your country would probably be seen as the ultimate in patriotism. The First World War, for example is why we are all here today.
WW1 was a totally unnecessary war, which never should have been fought, it caused WW2 which we had to fight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
WW1 was a totally unnecessary war, which never should have been fought, it caused WW2 which we had to fight.
We didn't have to fight it, we could have rolled over like the French.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:18 PM

It's not a case of my country wrong or right though is it. It's about my country first. It's about pride in a persons country, it's values, its history, and a want to be a benefit to their country up to the point where to do so would harm it's people or its future.

BREXIT is an exception where the majority of this country decided that they want free of the undemocratic corrupt EU which is actually the unelected European Commission and that is absolutely toxic to the UK especially as an independent nation.

I can sorta understand that there are a substantial minority of British people perfectly happy to surrender their freedom to a foreign power but the majority are not. Patriotism is not surrendering ones nation and sovereignty.

To suggest that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel in such a case is pure unadulterated total horse apples. To willingly surrender ones national sovereignty and hard won freedoms of national identity and national security, that's the act of a scoundrel or much worse.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
it's not a case of my country wrong or right though is it. It's about my country first. It's about pride in a persons country, it's values, its history, and a want to be a benefit to their country up to the point where to do so would harm it's people or its future.

Brexit is an exception where the majority of this country decided that they want free of the undemocratic corrupt eu which is actually the unelected european commission and that is absolutely toxic to the uk especially as an independent nation.

I can sorta understand that there are a substantial minority of british people perfectly happy to surrender their freedom to a foreign power but the majority are not. Patriotism is not surrendering ones nation and sovereignty.

To suggest that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel in such a case is pure unadulterated total horse apples. To willingly surrender ones national sovereignty and hard won freedoms of national identity and national security, that's the act of a scoundrel or much worse.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

09-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We didn't have to fight it, we could have rolled over like the French.
It would have stayed a small regional issue, if Britain hadn't been stupid enough to get involved!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top